Vodka Yeast or Bakers Yeast?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Vodka Yeast or Bakers Yeast?

Postby Arismac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:38 pm

G'dy all,

I have decided to go with Lalvin EC-1118. I have mixed one satchet of 5g with the multi-vit capsule and a little sugar into 100mls of warm water. An hour later and the yeast is well active and will be ready for adding to the TPW very soon.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby coffe addict » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 pm

For neutral it probably won't make a huge difference as it'll be refluxed till no flavour is left but if making a sipping vodka the higher quality yeast will be noticeable.

5gm into a tpw is a low pitching rate. The pack usually gives ideal pitching rates. Ie how much yeast to wash.

You can breed up the quantity by making a starter as you have and the amount of available sugars and oxygen will determine how much yeast you get. Usually yeast in half strength wash will double in two hours.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Arismac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Thank you "Coffe Addict". Many years ago when brewing my own beer I always sent my yeast off to nursery school for a a couple of hours or so before adding to the fermentor. I did this with the EC1118 today and at the end of two hours a very active 100mls to pitch. This went into a total of 21ltrs and 8kg of sugar at 28C. I expect things to be well away by tomorrow morning.
Arismac

Postby Dig Brinker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Wow 8 kg in 21 litres? That's a lot. Double what you should use. Aim for 1kg per 5 litres to give a 10% wash.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Arismac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Trust me for overdoing it. Oh well fingers crossed. I will report further and hope you do not hear distance explosions and see mushroom shaped clouds. :-D
Arismac

Postby coffe addict » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:26 pm

:text-+1: 8kg is what a turbo pack advises. The yeast will make no difference when running into the 20% mark. By that I mean no yeast known to man can produce clean spirit at that strength.
General consensus is 10% is the absolute maximum and 6% to 8% is better but less yield.
Most would be 4 or 5kg with 21L.

Edit posted as you did.
It'll just create more of the undesirable alcohols and will need to be run slower to separate them.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Arismac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 pm

OK, looks like the wash is heading for the Cosmetics Den to be used as ethanol in our aroma diffusers. Next batch will be cut well back in the amount of sugar. Thanks again.
Arismac

Postby coffe addict » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm

If you have room in the fermenter add more water or split into two fermenters if you have a second fermenter.
coffe addict

Postby Arismac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Thank you "Coffe Addict". I certainly have room in the fermentor. It is rated at 30l so will add more water immediately. I will make sure that the "top up" is at the same temperature as the wash. Many thanks.

I hope this is not "illegal" in the forum but this is the fermentor that I own. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/112144275004?chn=ps
Arismac

Postby warramungas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 pm

That's a whopping 380 grams of sugar per liter. Hopefully NOT 8kgs of sugar the top the fermenter up to 21 liter or your yeast is going to s**t its pants with a major case of sugar overdose. Reason I assume is that my 30 liter struggled to fit a full 8kgs and 21 liters of water.
Maximum I used to push my yeast was 300 grams per liter for high abv turbos. Once upon a time.
I'd just stick to recipes mate for now. I used the sugar head bourbon washes and use the feints for vodka when I've got a nice quantity built up. Makes really good neutral.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Arismac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:16 pm

I really, really did try to stick to the recipe. Problem is that I changed the yeast without changing the amount of sugar. I am learning. So will I get closer to where I should be by topping the 21l up to 30l which is the fermentor capacity?

Perhaps I should have said that I dissolved the 8kg of sugar and then topped up to 21l.
Arismac

Postby coffe addict » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:38 am

Yeah top it up as full as you can without puking (overflowing with the foam)
coffe addict

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 am

Arismac wrote:Trust me for overdoing it. Oh well fingers crossed. I will report further and hope you do not hear distance explosions and see mushroom shaped clouds. :-D

I'm curious, why did you differ from the recipe?
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby the Doctor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 am

Whilst a long time fan of ec 1118, for the last four years we have been using Uvaferm 43 as our vodka yeast... we aim for a very neutral profile, as our vodka is used mostly for cocktails, it is clean and light... we are generally discarding about 57 % of the run and have achieved a very good result with this practice. Our pure vodka was recently reviewed in the Australian Spirits Guide (Luke McCarthy) and was favourably compared to Reyka, which I have long held to be the best there is... Is it the yeast.... well yes and no... I believe EC 1118 to be as clean in it's finish, but a bit slower and less aggressive. In all the hundreds of washes we have done, we have never had a stuck ferment, that is testament to the yeasts mentioned as ours is a challenging environment with wide temperature variation and aggressive indigenous yeasts... If you are working in similar conditions I can recommend Uva 43( ex winequip melbourne)
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby maddogpearse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Someone should start a thread named, "all the pearls of wisdom the doctor has left us" and copy and paste every post doc has ever made into it...
Thanks so much for all your contributions to this forum doc! You have some very valuable knowledge that I'm sure we all appreciate you sharing so openly with us!
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Arismac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

A BIG plus one ...

I am avidly consuming his wisdom on this forum.

I perhaps also should have mentioned that the current SG of my fermentor is 45 taken from a sample out of the tap.
Arismac

Postby Arismac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Waht a turkey. I can't even read the Hydrometer correctly. I should have said that the SG is 1.145. Sorry about that.
Arismac

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Arismac wrote:Waht a turkey. I can't even read the Hydrometer correctly. I should have said that the SG is 1.145. Sorry about that.

So did you pitch your yeast already? Have you had any activity?
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Arismac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

I have pitched the yeast about 24 hours ago. No discernable activity yet in the fermentor but the yeast was well active in the "nursery" dining on a little sugar and a multi-vit capsule.
Arismac

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Stick your ear to the side of the fermenter and listen for fizzing or take the lid off and look/ listen
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions