Bubble enhancers

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Bubble enhancers

Postby Kenster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm

As for the ceramic boil reducers...they DO work, as they reduce the size of boiling bubbles formed and settle it down a bit. Most of us have a voltage controller which reduces vigorous boiling/puking...hence no need.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Re: New T500

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Kenster wrote:As for the ceramic boil reducers...they DO work, as they reduce the size of boiling bubbles formed and settle it down a bit. Most of us have a voltage controller which reduces vigorous boiling/puking...hence no need.

I never found any difference with them ken, an honesty can't quite understand how they would work. :think:
In the interest of a good discussion, what's your theory on the boil enhancers?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby scythe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 pm

They provide a point for the bubbles to form.
Think mentos and diet coke.
I believe they also lower the heat input required to get a bubble to evolve in the first place.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:00 pm

scythe wrote:They provide a point for the bubbles to form.
I believe they also lower the heat input required to get a bubble to evolve in the first place.

That's what I have always thought, creates the "nucleation" point :-B

But I don't think they are necessary
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby scythe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Necessary no, but not detrimental.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:12 pm

I just bought some will see what they do in a rum wash in a couple weeks.. :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Flowerpot » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:20 pm

scythe wrote:They provide a point for the bubbles to form.

:text-+1:

little video that demonstrates it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXYcBwXzQbQ

oh btw. found this highly technical guide to making your own :laughing-rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjGUa3kiIRU
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Re: Bubble enhancers

Postby coffe addict » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:41 pm

I've used them and honestly could not determine the difference. Just another hbs gimmick, if they made any worthwhile difference commercial guys would be using them.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 pm

coffe addict wrote:I've used them and honestly could not determine the difference. Just another hbs gimmick, if they made any worthwhile difference commercial guys would be using them.

:text-+1: I got a bag of them when I brought my hbs rig, after a few tpw runs with and without, I honesty didn't notice any difference.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby neservice » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:33 pm

I have tried with and without, for me they made a difference as the only time i did not use them my column puked, wont make that mistake again
neservice

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby P1ratepat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Flowerpot wrote:
scythe wrote:oh btw. found this highly technical guide to making your own :laughing-rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjGUa3kiIRU

I used to get in trouble for this as a kid... Now... "Look babe I made boiling stones with your favourite cup, saved me money at the brew shop" :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:
P1ratepat

equipment: T500 reflux

Postby seeka » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Good discussion here guys, I have wondered how these few puny ceramic tubes can make a difference when the still is bubbling vigorously. I know you can hear them rattling but I suspect that they have been displaced to the sides of the boiler as the heating element is under the center section inside the ring. I have thought about maybe trying to contain them in the center section where they may actually break up the excessive bubbling? Perhaps as suggested above, effective temperature control negates the need for these. Maybe the boil enhancers were just thrown in as a stop gap to cover a design flaw. :violin:
seeka

equipment: T500 with allembic head

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 pm

I would think that they would have a better result for those of us that use gas as a heating method,stopping scorching or burnt spots on the base of ya boiler wich was more of a problem in the olden days with fire heated stills,that they had ta stir as the charge heated up befor putting the head on the still once it started ta boil,wich once its boiling negates the need ta stir and keep solids of the base wich could scorch giving ya spirit a shit taste ,and they give a even heat across the base.my thoughts anyhoo.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I would think that they would have a better result for those of us that use gas as a heating method,stopping scorching or burnt spots on the base of ya boiler wich was more of a problem in the olden days with fire heated stills,that they had ta stir as the charge heated up befor putting the head on the still once it started ta boil,wich once its boiling negates the need ta stir and keep solids of the base wich could scorch giving ya spirit a shit taste ,and they give a even heat across the base.my thoughts anyhoo.cheers hillzabilly

That's good point there :handgestures-thumbupleft: I noticed slight scorching on my old t500. With its element under the base, I can see them stopping that....
Iv used gas for last couple yrs now in keg boiler and no scorching and I don't filter anything, Iv run some very thick fruit mashes (skins, pulp but never any seeds) but I did read awhile ago that u shouldn't let flames touch the metal, more indirect heating maybe :think: to stop scorching
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:26 pm

They are used in chemistry so must be some science behind them. But from what ive seen they use them in test tubes so they are much bigger relatively speaking then the ones still spirits sell for used in 25l boiler.. i have two packs of them will tip them into my next rum which is nearly done, maybe sunday. If it dont puke I will fish them out of dunder if it does the will go down the drain. I want to speed up rum strip runs will be awesome if they work..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Professor Green » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm no physicist by any stretch of the imagination but I suspect they're only of use if heating from below as the bubbles will form at the source of heat and the idea behind them is to break those bubbles up into smaller, less violent ones.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Two packs in a rum wash did zip.. heard marbles work I will try that at some stage i will get some of the big ones tommy tonkers from memory :-B :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby warramungas » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:49 pm

I think you'll find they are more effective in lab glass which is very smooth and has very few points for bubbles to form. You can end up with BIG bubbles and in extreme circumstances you can superheat the solution (which is very bad). :-B
May be of assistance in very smooth or internally polished stainless boilers.
Boiling chips are usually an inert material like a ceramic and if I was to try and use some at home I'd use a handful of some inert clean garden stuff like clean lava rock or basalt chips. Something porous or with a rough surface. Definitely not glass marbles. Being smooth marbles would be poor source of bubble points.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 pm

warramungas wrote:I think you'll find they are more effective in lab glass which is very smooth and has very few points for bubbles to form. You can end up with BIG bubbles and in extreme circumstances you can superheat the solution (which is very bad). :-B
May be of assistance in very smooth or internally polished stainless boilers.
Boiling chips are usually an inert material like a ceramic and if I was to try and use some at home I'd use a handful of some inert clean garden stuff like clean lava rock or basalt chips. Something porous or with a rough surface. Definitely not glass marbles. Being smooth marbles would be poor source of bubble points.

:text-+1: I did read a thread while ago a European used pieces of roof tiles :wtf:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Or ceramic broken up unglazed mug perhaps :-B
bluc
Site Donor

Next

Return to Beginners Questions