Meet ups, get together soon, shindigs

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Meet ups, get together soon, shindigs

Postby Ripas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:34 pm

So I've been wondering if you guys ever have some sort of meet and greet. You know put faces behind the names etc.

I would relish the opportunity of talking and learning more about this craft. It would also be grand to taste test what you consider to be your best product. I for one, as an example, have started on the rum journey and would greatly appreciate the chance to taste other rums and their variations from the the distillers trials.

So what do you think? Something in the SE corner of Queensland - there seems to be quite a few active members in Brisbane, Sunny/Gold Coast. A bbq, a fire pit, good tunes and samplers......

I've not thought too much about venues but surely there would be an idea or two floating around? Somewhere with accomodation close by? Somewhere where you roll out a swag......
Ripas

equipment: 2"boka with 1m stainless section - 50L keg with 2000w element

Re: Meet ups, get together soon, shindigs

Postby coffe addict » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I'd be keen for a few drinks by a fire!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:02 pm

It's a great thing but just make sure to keep any details via PM.
I met Rumdiddlyum at the pub. Was totally suss, met a stranger at the pub who I'd met over the Internet, don't teach your kids this but it worked out for us.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Onelove » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 pm

So close to making my bubbler I can smell it*, Very keen for this. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

* May be the rum seeping from my pores.
Onelove

equipment: nearly a bubbler

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Doubleuj wrote:It's a great thing but just make sure to keep any details via PM.
I met Rumdiddlyum at the pub. Was totally suss, met a stranger at the pub who I'd met over the Internet, don't teach your kids this but it worked out for us.

:laughing-rolling: Yep, there has been a few meets in the past, a few in WA by Mac and there was one in SA by Crow a while ago.

If you are keen on setting one up I can change the title of this thread for SE QLD and let the other members have a comment on where they think you should have it.

Ideally best if someone is keen enough to have it at their house, otherwise a gathering in a public place like a park etc, depends if kids are there etc etc.

Like WJ said, any details of address and timings etc are best kept to PM for obvious reasons ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Psykamaholik » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Count me in if it falls on a day I'm not working :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby copperhead road » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:06 am

Psykamaholik wrote:Count me in if it falls on a day I'm not working :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: :happy-partydance: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingchug:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Minpac » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:10 pm

A meet up would be pretty cool - especially if some of the experienced guys being samples so we can see what can be achieved and make sure us newbies are on the right track... +1 for fire and bbq.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Pugdog1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 pm

I'd be down I'm in the Toowoomba area. Can't say I'd bring a sample I don't think mine would be as good as you guys :))
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby coffe addict » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 pm

@pugdog I think that's kind of the point tasting others picking what they did or didn't do right. It's not a competition but a chance to learn and develop our tasting and stilling abilities.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Pedro1970 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Hey guys, i'd be up for a meet and exchange of knowledge... although I don't have much of it :))

However, I do live half way-ish between Brisvegas & Toowoomba and have a lovely wood fired pizza oven out back of my place that we could gather around...
Pedro1970

equipment: FSD Mac 4" SSG
FSD 2"Boka
FSD 50Ltr boiler

Postby kiwispirit » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:09 pm

This sounds very interesting and a great idea and a great way to learn more :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-+1:
kiwispirit

equipment: 2.5" VM still, 50lt keg with 3" sight glass on 3 ring burner, wheelie bin AC water re-circulating system, modular pot still attachment to the vm still

Postby Minpac » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 am

Pedro - thanks for offering, sounds great! That would work for me. If that's too far for the outer Brisbanites (Sunshine/Gold coast) we could aim for some of the national parks with bbq's up in them thar hills (there's a couple good bbq spots, even a few wood fired ones, up in the Mt Nebo/ Mt Cootha area)
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Psykamaholik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am

Pedro you're a legend :music-deathmetal:

What dates would suit you to host "The Boozening SEQ"? (Catchy title hey! :)) )
Psykamaholik

Postby nuddy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 pm

I'd be interested around the Gold Coast, Brissie and possibly a little further away.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby copperhead road » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Minpac wrote:Pedro - thanks for offering, sounds great! That would work for me. If that's too far for the outer Brisbanites (Sunshine/Gold coast) we could aim for some of the national parks with bbq's up in them thar hills (there's a couple good bbq spots, even a few wood fired ones, up in the Mt Nebo/ Mt Cootha area)

:text-+1:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Pedro1970 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Pretty well much any weekend, don't have much booked in the social calendar ATM :chores-mowlawn:

Just have to advise I have 2 border collies :animals-dogrun: who love attention... in case anyone has an allergy :auto-ambulance:

By the way - by half way I mean Ipswich :scared-eek:
Pedro1970

equipment: FSD Mac 4" SSG
FSD 2"Boka
FSD 50Ltr boiler

Postby crow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:09 pm

meet ups with BBQ or what ever are great fun. I've had and been to a few in Vic, S.A, northern NSW, West Virginia, Kentucky and Michigan. All were great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Psykamaholik » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 am

Pedro1970 wrote:Pretty well much any weekend, don't have much booked in the social calendar ATM :chores-mowlawn:

How about the first saturday in June? (Just picking a date for the sake of one) Should be proper fire watching weather by then
Psykamaholik

Postby coffe addict » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 am

Count me in, sounds like a good evening!
coffe addict

Next

Return to Beginners Questions