Removing sticky glue from labels

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Removing sticky glue from labels

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 am

I have had a hotel collecting empty spirit bottles. I picked up 120 different spirit bottles (6 x 55 litre tubs)
It seems to be a bit of a nightmare removing the sticky glue after soaking the bottles in hot water to remove label.
I have tried ORANGE POWER, GOOF OFF MIRACLE REMOVER and DE-SOV-IT
all of which is not that easy. I think depending on how long the label was originally on the bottle makes a difference, like the glue is stained on.
Do any guys bother to do this and if so what's the best method.

I found it hard to find nice looking bottles new so that's why I tried this :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: Removing sticky glue from labels

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:06 pm

yes, but have you tried foreshows and early heads...?

:violence-smack: :laughing-rolling:

EDIT: friend has used wet paper towel to wrap around the label (if paper) and it usually comes off easily at the end of the day, even with glue.

I have used metho on a paper towel and find that works easy enough, but then switched to fores cos its cheaper...
Last edited by EziTasting on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Soak in warm water and then scrap off with one of those scrapers used for rego stickers etc.
The ones with the replaceable razor blades.

Then the orange oil etc.

Yeah, a long tedious process but it works.
:D
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:Soak in warm water and then scrap off with one of those scrapers used for rego stickers etc.
The ones with the replaceable razor blades.

Then the orange oil etc.

Yeah, a long tedious process but it works.
:D

:text-+1: but I would use eucalyptus oil
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:41 pm

With beet bottles at least. If you leave them soak long enough (about week) they come off without any scraping :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby jaypes » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Peel the labels off the best you can then throw them in the dishwasher (hottest cycle)

Or Euco Oil
jaypes

equipment: 2" Potty

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:55 pm

Have used jif and a stainless scrubbie with some success,also soak in hot water overnight with some sodium metabisulpate(brew cleaner disinfectant),or the eucalyptus oil,I struggled with some bottles more than others ,so now I just pick out the ones that I know I can clean easily,mother natures law and all,the ones I hate have plastic lables like Absolute voddy so I donot even bother trying ta get them off anymore,I go the path of least resistance.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks fellas I will try the 24 hour soak in brew cleaning disinfectant, followed by paint scrapper razor then hit em with the eucalyptus oil.
It's just seems a huge task with so many dumped on me at once :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:31 pm

I go for the sqare bottles like Jacks and Jimmy mostly nowdays ,they donot roll off the bench and pack well into the trusty milk crates or wine boxes leaving no wasted space,I like sets and not all different types so I use about 4 different bottles ,one for rum,one for voddy,one for whiskey,and another type for any thing else,and think about wich ones have good tops as the metal ones donot allways last or seal that well after a few uses,were as Jacks and absolute plastic tops are very good after several uses . ;-) each to their own .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:52 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Have used jif and a stainless scrubbie with some success,also soak in hot water overnight with some sodium metabisulpate(brew cleaner disinfectant),or the eucalyptus oil,I struggled with some bottles more than others ,so now I just pick out the ones that I know I can clean easily,mother natures law and all,the ones I hate have plastic lables like Absolute voddy so I donot even bother trying ta get them off anymore,I go the path of least resistance.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

'plastic lables like Absolute voddy so I donot even bother trying ta get them off '
Would soda blasting work on the plastic labels .
wynnum1

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:56 pm

It may but I have no experience with that,could be costly and make new ones from the HBS look good.Other thing is sometimes when transporting a lack of labels is likely ta create suspicion,so keeping some with may be prudent.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby db1979 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:14 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Other thing is sometimes when transporting a lack of labels is likely ta create suspicion,so keeping some with may prudent.

:text-+1:
And not just in transporting. You may go to a party where you don't want it common knowledge that you've made your own (people there you don't know or trust), with the original label intact and the right colour spirit then there's no need to answer those questions.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby copperhead road » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Cool advice hillzabilly in regards to square shape for ease of packing and anti roll. However I got some real rippers I have never seen before, couple of prohibition gin and few tequila that have like a spikey glass agave inside bottle, there awesome.
Anyways back into it scrap,rub,scrap,rub lol :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Sounds like a good job ta keep ya busy dureing long spirit runs,or when hideing in the shed from SWMBO.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:41 pm

I pretty much only use Ballantines bottles now, can fit a heap on the shelf. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Soak in hot water for the paper and I use thinners to remove the glue
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Wich type of thinners ya use,enamel or acrylic,never thought ta try that stuff,used to have 44gal drums of the stuff at work in the paintshop,I think a big part of the problem is the different types of adhesive used on bottles ,requires different cleaning methods and I have not found anything that works easily on all.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby Flowerpot » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Soak in a bucket with woolies laundry soaker. To get the glue off I tried just about everything in my shed; metho, acetone, turps, kero etc all crap. Then I tried wax and grease remover. works a treat.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l- ... r_p1210255
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Postby Undertaker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:30 pm

I use oxy clean.
You can buy it from the supermarket, but I get mine from a commercial cleaner supply place. Warm water and a good scoop of powder in a big tub. Soak for 3-4 hours and the labels just about fall off, glue and all. Quick rub with a green scourer gets any little bits of residue.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:39 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Wich type of thinners ya use,enamel or acrylic,never thought ta try that stuff,used to have 44gal drums of the stuff at work in the paintshop,I think a big part of the problem is the different types of adhesive used on bottles ,requires different cleaning methods and I have not found anything that works easily on all.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just labelled paint thinners
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Next

Return to Beginners Questions