Bubbler question - live

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Bubbler question - live

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:00 am

So im running my vinegar run right now. It's started bubbling from the top and then worked down. Is that normal? I thought it was vice versa?

I must say it is impressive to watch anyway!
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Re: Bubbler question - live

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:12 am

yeah that's pretty normal mate, sounds like it's working just fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:50 am

Ended up having something odd, the second plate from the bottom wasn't bubbling so I turned the second element back on and it fired up but was pretty well flooded. I don't think the seal was really good though so I'll fiddle with that before my sac run later when it cools down.

Didn't collect much product out of the parrot drain, was only a drip here and there. I think it'll be easier to manage when the power controller gets here.
Sparrow

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 am

The vinegar run behaves totally different to a sacrificial (alcohol) run and your eventual spirit runs.
But the plates should load from top to bottom as Mac stated.
Try a sac run to practice on.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:03 pm

It will always load from the top down mate, the reflux condenser is at the top! Unless your plates are pre-loaded.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:41 pm

So I've just come back to clean it after letting it cool down and there's a fair bit of discoloration on the copper plates, particularly on the bottom side of them. Is that Ok?
Sparrow

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:39 pm

That's the idea of the vinegar run mate, give it a good sac run and you should be right.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Sparrow wrote:... I think it'll be easier to manage when the power controller gets here.

Mate, I don't run my still with a controller. I use 2 x 2400W elements to get her up to boil the switch the top one off. Then I work the Defleg (RC) in orde to control the reflux and collection rate.
It's crude but works very well. I wanted my $$ to sink into expanding my whisky making gear so didn't bother with the controller... just saying!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:35 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Sparrow wrote:... I think it'll be easier to manage when the power controller gets here.

Mate, I don't run my still with a controller. I use 2 x 2400W elements to get her up to boil the switch the top one off. Then I work the Defleg (RC) in orde to control the reflux and collection rate.
It's crude but works very well. I wanted my $$ to sink into expanding my whisky making gear so didn't bother with the controller... just saying!

Yeah that's fair and that's my plan for the time being.

Just need to stop a drip that's decided to appear in the dephleg outflow and I'm into the sac run.
Sparrow

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:44 pm

No controller here either. Needle valve on the bottom of the RC, open it up for full reflux and then dial it in to about 1/2 a turn from shut to hold 88% at about 2L/hr. Seems to be the sweet spot for me!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:01 pm

I've just had to shut her down, we've got a glass still and the plates keep slipping on the seal and liquid is leaking out. Tried stopping, readjusting twice but just keeps happening.
Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Sorted that, got it in equilibrium for about halfa. Pulled about 250ml fores. Then collected just into a 10l bucket.

Abv started at 90, after about 15 mins it had dropped to nearly 60 and the flow had stopped. The liquid in the parrot was actually dropping. Played with the RC and PC and it's rising again, abv slowly creeping back up
Sparrow

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:22 pm

It's exciting, isn't it! I remember this time very well...

These are teething times - TAKE HEAPS of NOTEs!! You'll notice a pattern emerging as you do more runs and that's when you'll tweak it and soon none of these issue will bother you again!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby coffe addict » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:03 am

:text-+1: it feels like your never going to get the thing under control for the first cpl runs and then the penny drops!
Then you can start playing around with input power and take off rates chasing a particular flavour profile which is obviously different for each wash!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby andybear » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:No controller here either. Needle valve on the bottom of the RC, open it up for full reflux and then dial it in to about 1/2 a turn from shut to hold 88% at about 2L/hr. Seems to be the sweet spot for me!

That's the exact method I use except I'm only about 1/4 turn open on my needle valve to the RC. And by the time it drops to 86% I can smell tails coming thru and start collecting only for the next run. Is yours the same Zak?
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Pretty much spot on mate!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Now I got the needle valve on my bubbler I just need a slight turn to go from full reflux to a nice toothpick stream and thats with the pump working at 50%
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Milky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:No controller here either. Needle valve on the bottom of the RC, open it up for full reflux and then dial it in to about 1/2 a turn from shut to hold 88% at about 2L/hr. Seems to be the sweet spot for me!

Sorry to hijack the thread but could you please pm me Zak on what needle valve you use? I think it's time Bender gets one.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions