Preservatives in grain

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Preservatives in grain

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 pm

I went to the produce store today at Capalaba to stock up on corn,barley and wheat. I asked to make sure it was preservative free. I was told that it would have been sprayed at some point with pesticides so it would contain preservatives.I was told the only time grain can be classed as preservative free is if it's organic.(they don't stock organic)
Is this correct?
Will there grain still be ok to use? :think:

The last lot of grains I got was from elsewhere and I never asked to question so not sure what I got.
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Re: Preservatives in grain

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Pesticides and preservatives are NOT the same way thing!

One kilos bugs, the other stops something from going off too quickly..
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby copperhead road » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 pm

EziTasting wrote:Pesticides and preservatives are NOT the same way thing!

One kilos bugs, the other stops something from going off too quickly..

That's exactly the way I understood things, so I guess it fine to use.
She was adamant I was not correct. (However there is no "preservative free" labelling on the bags)
Cheers ezi
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:06 am

Forgot to mention that I don't think that they spray the 'seed', but the whole plant! So once it's been deshrlled the poison should not be on the seed. Otherwise w d get the poison in our breads and noodles and flour, etc...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:08 am

Think you'll find that the pesticides are present on the grain, in bread and any other non organic produce hence the reason organics came to be a thing.
It's meant to be below a certain amount though often it's above the maximum allowable limits!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby pingu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:25 am

I was also worried about my corn having preservatives so I used some to make a few sour corn starters. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5388 my corn acted exactly as they should have so that's how I convinced myself my corn was ok. :wtf:
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:11 am

Some grain crops are sprayed with herbicides like glyphosate desiccating Farmers often had trouble getting wheat and barley to dry evenly so they can start harvesting. So they came up with the idea to kill the crop (with glyphosate) one to two weeks before harvest to accelerate the drying down of the grain
wynnum1

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:19 am

I can't comment on corn but for wheat and barley yeah they are definitely going to be sprayed with an assortment of chemicals during the growing season and also as wynnum said there are dessicating sprays that can be used, these usually have a with holding period before your allowed to harvest it.

As for a "preservative" most grain once dried properly will keep for a very long time unless of course bugs, rodents etc get to it or moisture gets in. Grain can be treated with a phosphine gas to kill weevils etc.

The only real preservative I have seen is that grain that is kept for seed can be "pickled" which is a bright orange colour so if you ever see grain that colour don't use it.

As for if any of this is going to affect you then I suggest if you don't like the idea of crops being sprayed then probably stop eating/drinking anything that is not certified organic.

As for me I will keep drinking commercial beer/whisky etc and eating bread, cereal etc ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:16 pm

I sent the grain supplier down here a email asking about preservatives, got a prompt reply saying all their products are free of them. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Ask if it's been sprayed with pesticide/herbicide while it was growing ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:32 am

TasSpirits wrote:I sent the grain supplier down here a email asking about preservatives, got a prompt reply saying all their products are free of them. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Capalaba produce have good stuff otherwise mates wouldnt have lasted 7 gens without adding new yeast.
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:01 am

If preservatives are going to stop yeast from working it'll be straight away, not after 7 gens. People have gone dozens of gens without adding yeast.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:09 am

Grain by its very nature is well suited to being stored without pesticides so they don't bother. Just keep it air tight to keep moisture and weevils out. Often feed store grain will have plenty of weevils so throw it in the freezer for 24hrs before putting it into a storage drum.
There's a brand of molasses that is watered down and therefore needs preservatives to stop infections, just buy the super thick stuff and nothing to worry about there either.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 am

coffe addict wrote:Grain by its very nature is well suited to being stored without pesticides so they don't bother. Just keep it air tight to keep moisture and weevils out. Often feed store grain will have plenty of weevils so throw it in the freezer for 24hrs before putting it into a storage drum.
There's a brand of molasses that is watered down and therefore needs preservatives to stop infections, just buy the super thick stuff and nothing to worry about there either.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-thankyoublue: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Return to Beginners Questions