Boil the wash?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Boil the wash?

Postby Borneogoat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm just starting out with my shiny new FSD system. I come from a homebrew beer background, so I kinda know what I'm doing ... just enough to be dangerous. In brewing we make a mash with grains etc and then boil it for about an hour. This does tasty things to the mixture and very importantly sanitizes the mix before pitching yeast. But I don't see much mention in the distilling forums about boiling the wash water. Is this just a given, so nobody mentions it, or is process different? I ask because I have a 100L boiler and a 100L fermenter with plans for 80L washes. But boiling 80L (+ a few extra to account for evaporation) would take a bloody big pot and a serious system for heating it up! I'm starting with sugar washes and any advice would be appreciated.
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Re: Boil the wash?

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I think the heating up is the main reason for not boiling.. I reckon for a reasonable time frame gas might be the best option.

I have read a lot of the off flavors that happen without boiling beer wort are not relevant as those flavors don't carry over..Lots of mixed info on this and will be interested to see what direction you go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I plan on buying a mash tun maybe tomorrow, and I have a keg that will be my boiler as soon as I can get an element, so 80 final volume wash sounds about right for 2 lots in a keg.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:13 pm

No need to boil.

Can be an advantage to not boil when doing all grain as you want the enzymes to keep working as much as they can for efficiency, some even ferment on the grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm sure coming from a beer background this could be mind blowing 8-}
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Borneogoat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 am

Sam. wrote:No need to boil.

Can be an advantage to not boil when doing all grain as you want the enzymes to keep working as much as they can for efficiency, some even ferment on the grain :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm sure coming from a beer background this could be mind blowing 8-}

I'm happy to skip the boil, if that is how home distilling works! Does the still simply strip out the off-flavors that could be created by wild yeast etc?
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Most of the time you will ferment that fast and hot then put in the still that infection doesn't get a chance to take hold :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Plumby » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Sam. wrote:Most of the time you will ferment that fast and hot then put in the still that infection doesn't get a chance to take hold :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: . heaps easier than brewing beer and I haven't sanitized anything for years. Just a good rub with a dishcloth and warm water to remove any stubborn schmutz then a hot water rinse and you are good to go again.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Plump wrote:... schmutz ...
there it is again! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:50 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Plump wrote:... schmutz ...
there it is again! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

If the hat fits :teasing-neener: