Two stills for two products

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Two stills for two products

Postby Arismac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm

I have read the pro's and con's of pot stills and reflux stills until my old head has almost spun off my shoulders. Basically I am reading that if I am content to use HBS essences then the T500 reflux is fine, but if I want to get involved in the receipes on this and other forums I need a pot still as well.

So my question is which pot still should I be purchasing so I can move beyond the HBS essences?
Arismac

equipment: none left

Re: Two stills for two products

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Macs modular is a rippa can be built into a bubbler also will hold its value if ever you want to re sell it..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Are u looking to use same boiler u already have or bigger one? And are u looking to go to a bubbler in future? If not I'd say any simple 2" pot will be good..
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Arismac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:38 pm

If I read you correctly I presume that "the boiler I alread have" is the tank part of the T500. If this is correct I would certainly like to stick with the one boiler if I can? I am guessing that "upgrading" is removing the column and replacing with other hardware?
Arismac

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I'd say buy the 2" pot still from fsd and tell them u want to fit it to t500 boiler lid :handgestures-thumbupleft: then ur ready to go straight away. This one http://www.5stardistilling.net/2-pot-still/
Last edited by Wobblyboot on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wobblyboot

Postby Arismac » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 pm

That is exactly what I hoped somebody would say. Perhaps the other "Mac" will come by this thread and provide me with further directions. If not I will PM him. Thank you.

It seems to me that this turns the, often maligned, T500 into a much more versatile unit. I get good quality ethenol for my cosmetics and get to experiment with making consumables.
Arismac

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:07 pm

http://www.5stardistilling.net/2-pot-still/
And u will need this to make it fit ur lid
http://www.5stardistilling.net/adapter-t500/
And no affiliation, just been happy customer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 pm

The 2" pot still, whilst a great unit (like all FSD gear), will make the T500 boiler unstable due to the weight of the condenser being offset to one side. This is Especially true when you get towards the tail end of the run and the boiler is not so full. A pelican style pot that distributes the weight more evenly is a better and safer idea. If you roll you're own from copper bits, you can assemble one from 5 Star 2" components relatively easily. There's a thread here somewhere in which I outlined all the parts you need to do so and another one with a picture of mine.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Apart from stability, the pelican style pot still is a beautiful thing far far more attractive than a standard still!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby PeterC » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Professor Green wrote:The 2" pot still, whilst a great unit (like all FSD gear), will make the T500 boiler unstable due to the weight of the condenser being offset to one side. This is Especially true when you get towards the tail end of the run and the boiler is not so full. A pelican style pot that distributes the weight more evenly is a better and safer idea. If you roll you're own from copper bits, you can assemble one from 5 Star 2" components relatively easily. There's a thread here somewhere in which I outlined all the parts you need to do so and another one with a picture of mine.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

The link for your convenience. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10728#p185363 The Professor's parts breakdown is at the bottom of the page. His pelican is a thing of beauty. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9212 I am also a fan of the lab stand with the parrot held in a clamp. Glad to see a pelican and a parrot getting on so well! :laughing-rolling:

I also have a 25L boiler but kept this for a reflux still and have bought a new 50L keg for my 2 inch pot still with a weldless element installed. Cost me $200 but I want to distill larger volume ferments. 2 x 50L ferments = 1 x 25L low wines spirit run works well for me. Mind you the slow spirit run on a 2 inch reflux still takes me all day. Stripping runs take 3 hours plus heating time.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 am

Second lid for T500 is not that expensive if wanting to use pot still.
wynnum1

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks for finding the links PeterC. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I always use a retort stand with my parrot for three reasons:
1. It removes yet another element of offset weight when running with a boiler like the T500 (or my baby bain marie boiler I just replaced it with).
2. For some reason, when my parrot is attached to either my neutraliser or 4" stripping pot, it always seems sit at an odd angle. decoupling the parrot from the still means I can get it perfectly vertical therefore keeping the float off the edges.
3. Lab gear is dead sexy!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Beginners Questions