i need a new still, any advice?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

i need a new still, any advice?

Postby guy_smily85 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 pm

i currently have a 3" 1m long reflux still sitting on a keg at the moment and im looking to build a 4" column on a 150l pressure vessel, i have never used bubble plates before and i am just wondering how well they work, and i will also need an automatic controller to be built (either happy with a bought one or homemade).

if any one has done anything similar id love to hear how it has worked.

thanks...Guy
guy_smily85

equipment: reflux still

Re: i need a new still, any advice?

Postby db1979 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Bubblers are fantastic, they may look complicated to run but really aren't that difficult. 150 L boiler sounds like it will be too big for a 4" still (I think the run time will be painfully long), but I'm just guessing at that. Someone else may give you better advice. Maybe for that size boiler you'll want a 6" still. That then opens up other questions, such as how much are you planning on making and how much electricity (unless you're using gas) can you throw at it (safely)?

What are you planning on making?

Many guys run they're bubblers without controllers. 4" runs well on 2400 W.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Lowie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Hey mate,
I'm new to bubblers having recently finished building mine (I had a hbs reflux still for years) and I can tell you they are a piece of piss to run ( I had it pretty much nailed in the first two runs as I followed MAc's instructions to the tee) and you get great control over your product. I've got a controller and I use it, simply because I can :D , however, if you're only running 2400w then then the RC easily controls your flow. Take a look through the bubbler section, you'll learn heaps there, I did. Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm

150L is a big boiler mate!

A 4" 4 plater runs nicely on 2400w, I don't have a controller on mine.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby guy_smily85 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am

150l too big? i suppose it would take a long time to do a run, i always thought bigger might be better but in that case i might just drop down to a 100L boiler, i would be running 2 elements as standard house hold power wont let me run a single big one unless hard wired to mains power.

how long does it take you guys to do a run with a 4" column and a 50L boiler? my 3" one used to take about 9 hrs for 50L
guy_smily85

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 am

About 4 hours from turning the element on to shutting it down.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby rumsponge » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:22 am

how long does it take you guys to do a run with a 4" column and a 50L boiler? my 3" one used to take about 9 hrs for 50L

about 2.5h for a stripping run (potstill configuration), ~4-6h for refluxing configuration. in both cases including heat up phase.
Heat up on a 40L wash (50L boiler) is about 30-40min on my system with 2x2.4kW elements (the upper limit for most domestic electric power circuits).

So, yes 150L is big. Look in the calculator section and see how much heating capacity you need to get it to 78C in a reasonable time.
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby guy_smily85 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated
guy_smily85

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Guy, you seem to currently have a reasonable setup. What are you trying to achieve/improve upon... run speed, grain spirits, bored and need a project or just had enough of neutrals. The answers to these questions may lead you to a solution.
I run a 3" pot, and a 3" VM/LM combo... to me there seems no need for an upgrade. I dont know much about bubblers but many swear by them, for me.. i am happy atm... dont really know if that kit will significantly alter what i can make..other than the bling factor.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby guy_smily85 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Kenster wrote:Guy, you seem to currently have a reasonable setup. What are you trying to achieve/improve upon... run speed, grain spirits, bored and need a project or just had enough of neutrals. The answers to these questions may lead you to a solution.
I run a 3" pot, and a 3" VM/LM combo... to me there seems no need for an upgrade. I dont know much about bubblers but many swear by them, for me.. i am happy atm... dont really know if that kit will significantly alter what i can make..other than the bling factor.

the setup i have works fine as it was my second still i had made, i am wanting to improve all of those things you mentioned.
i want to only use a single malt grain for my wash, and maybe a neutral once a year for vodka, with to new setup i would like to have it on display not just tucked away in the shed.
i have been thinking more along the lines (today) of a 100L pot with 4 x 6" sight glass for a column as it would cut the run time down significantly
guy_smily85

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Just keep in mind that with a 6" still on a 100L boiler you're going to have to throw heaps more power at it. You also need a bigger cooling reservoir, etc etc. You also need to make full 100 odd litre washes to get the still to run properly.

4" on 50L with 2400w is a great size for me. Although I am looking forward to finishing my 6" rig once I get into a better housing situation!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby guy_smily85 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:10 pm

I know it will need more energy to power up but once boiling should be fine to cut back, and yes I will also have to run alot more cooling water through the condenser, I previously had a water tank and pump that ran through the condenser through a car radiator with fan and just kept circulating at the right temp, it was fantastic but took lot of tinkering to get done, if I keep like that I think it will still work just at a faster flow rate
guy_smily85

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Kenster wrote:.. dont really know if that kit will significantly alter what i can make..other than the bling factor.

Bubblers are way more than bling, they are fast, they produce high% while retaining flavour, they can be easily modded (if made modular) into anything you want, add plates=less flavor, remove plates=more flavor, packed section=neutral, gin baskets the list goes on, all in one rig and like you said bling, who doesn't love watching bubbles :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Oh and for advice, build or by a bubbler. If your gonna be in the hobby for a while you won't regret it.
Like what's already been said 150ltrs is big and not necessary but then again if you already have it use it, you don't need to fill it. Plus it will suit your future 6" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Kenster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Guy, i see where u r going with this now... all good.
Woody, thx...makes sense ... cheers
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Beginners Questions