New pot still too fast?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

New pot still too fast?

Postby Matstx » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:57 am

Hey All,
Just after some advice as a novice pot stiller. I ran the new 4" modular tonight on a 30L boiler and this thing was pumping it out. So I put through the 1st gen of Macs BWKO. Having run a reflux with a TPW for the last 2 years this was a lot different. Cranked out fores at 300ml in about 2 min. I had the water set at roughly 1L min which was what I was used to with the reflux. The top of the condenser was quite warm and gradually got hotter as I ran through the heads into the hearts. The stream out of the parrot was about as thick as a match. With the alcometer(Tralles 165mm) in the parrot I was unable to get any sort of reading. It just floated well below 0. Im assuming flow was pushing it up. So I was taking test samples through out, starting at 75% and ran through to 30%. Now my math not being all that great, I ended up with 5L of 50% heads, hearts and tails( stripping run) out of 18L of wash that measured about 8% before starting. How?. While the flavour was quite good with a definite corn taste, I feel it would've smeared running so fast. While I'm not overly concerned as this was a stripping run, I don't want this happening after I put through 5 gens and do the spirit run. Advice, thoughts, flames all welcomed.
Matstx

equipment: Pure Distilling

Re: New pot still too fast?

Postby Hardie355 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:04 am

Are you using an element controller? If not you will need one to slow it down, you cant control a pot with water flow you need to decrease power to the element to slow the boil.
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am

Matstx are you using a alcometer ? or trying to use a hydrometer?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Hardie355 wrote:Are you using an element controller? If not you will need one to slow it down, you cant control a pot with water flow you need to decrease power to the element to slow the boil.

:text-+1:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 pm

The amount of power used for ya reflux is way too much for a spirit run,but ok for a stripping run,I guess its around the 2000wt mark,fitting a smaller weldless element of around 1000wt or getting a power controler would be the go in my opinion,do not stress this is a learn as ya go hobby ,and I hope ya didnt expect the pot still to behave like a reflux because it will not.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Matstx » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Figured it was running too hot. Now to source a power controller.
Matstx

equipment: Pure Distilling

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Best to get a sparky mate to build you one, all the parts can be sourced from eBay and use this thread as your guide :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby baznkez » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:02 am

HI Matstx ,

I just purchased a pot still attatchment etc for my t500 reflux , after speaking to a few on here , i came across an scr controller on fleabay for like $25.00 i cut up an 10amp ext lead wired it up built a wooden box for it (safety) , then bought a power monitor from jaycar to keep an eye on the wattage of the boiler when using it in pot still mode , tested it prior on one of me workshop lead lights to make sure wattage was close to rated watts on light .
All up cost involved was like $45.00..

Regards Baz :handgestures-thumbupleft:
baznkez

equipment: turbo 500 & alembic pot with controller

Return to Beginners Questions