Beginner fitout T500 or Pure Distilling

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Beginner fitout T500 or Pure Distilling

Postby davesims » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi guys

I have a mate wanting to get into the sport or distilling, he has no knowledge of distilling other than what i have told him and i am a grasshoppers grasshopper. I currently have the T500 and a 5 start pot still and he likes what he sees with my set up and is wanting to go the same router.

I have seen the Pure distilling column and some say it is better than the T500 but have not played with it at all, some say there is no needle valve to dick around with and so on.

Is there anyone that has played with both that could offer an opinion on the better unit or anyone offer some advise on a good solution?
davesims

equipment: T500 copper and the usual noobie bits and pieces

Re: Beginner fitout T500 or Pure Distilling

Postby Minpac » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:04 pm

I looked at both before going down the pot route - I liked the pure distilling more, but I'd have to look back as to why. In the end I bought a pot & a VM system on a keg boiler.

Ultimately, the question is whether he wants to make neutral or a flavoured spirit (rum,whiskey)?

There can be cheap options that beat out both of those products at either neutral or flavoured/brown spirit.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby davesims » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Minpac wrote:I looked at both before going down the pot route - I liked the pure distilling more, but I'd have to look back as to why. In the end I bought a pot & a VM system on a keg boiler.

Ultimately, the question is whether he wants to make neutral or a flavoured spirit (rum,whiskey)?

There can be cheap options that beat out both of those products at either neutral or flavoured/brown spirit.

Hi, yeah it will be more for neutral spirit and might consider a pot as well for stripping at a later stage,

What VM still did you end up going?
davesims

Postby davesims » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Any other opinions/ comments guys

All info much appreciated
davesims

Postby bayshine » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 am

I started with a pure distiller and it was much easier to run than my mates t500, I put a 400 mm packed extension on it and this made it achieve a higher abv aswell :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But I soon outgrew it as it's only good for nuteral and in only 2 inch it's very slow
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby pafc64 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:14 am

I've been researching the Turbo500 for ages & was nearly set to buy one until I found the Pure Distiller & after talking to a bloke I work with who has been stilling for 20+ years he said the Pure Distiller looked and sounded far better than the Turbo, so I started pricing the Pure & once I found out the price I decided to just buy a boiler & make my own VM tower with a Liebig condenser.
pafc64

equipment: Nothing yet

Postby Minpac » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:25 am

davesims wrote:What VM still did you end up going?

I've got a 2" VM with 1" offtake valve and a shotgun condenser. It can be a bit slow -I'm wondering if a full 2" offtake valve would make it run faster.

Once you do look at the prices, it can be cheaper to buy a second hand bit of kit, or get someone to build it for you.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby rossgillespie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Where did u get yr 400mm ext for pure distilling rig bayshine.
I've been looking everywhere can't find them
rossgillespie

equipment: Pure distilling ultra pure with 30ltr boiler

Postby bayshine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 am

rossgillespie wrote:Where did u get yr 400mm ext for pure distilling rig bayshine.
I've been looking everywhere can't find them

I just made it out of some 2in copper pipe and stuffed some more scrubbers in it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I can't really remember but I think I de-soldered the brass fitting and soldered it back onto the bottom and just made some easy flanges for the joint an a triclamp :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Return to Beginners Questions