Insulating gas fired boiler

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Insulating gas fired boiler

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi guys,

Been reading lots and have noticed many people insulating their kegs to speed up heating and or reduce the amount of heat required to keep it going. Not much has been written that I can find about what to use when using gas.

What do people use?

I was thinking about that hebel airated concrete. It is apparently a great insulator, not too heavy so we can build it and pack it away no probs without taking up too much space.

I have seen the 44gal drum ideas, which clearly work great, but my mate is not keen on having half a drum lying around his place, which is fair enough.

Thanks for all the help,
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Insulating gas fired boiler

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:25 am

Perlite and Vermiculite are two materials that can be used for insulation.
wynnum1

Postby Huntsman96 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:43 am

Kaowool is also another option. Its what I've used for DIY blacksmithing forges in the past and it retains heats really well. For this sirt of application I wouldn't even bother coating it as the temps it's exposed to won't make it decay very fast. Relatively cheap as well.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Cheers guys. I happened across a bargain at bunnings. Some 600x400x100 aerated concrete blocks. They had their a corner broken off in transit. $2 each. I will post a pic when I get home, we have set them up roughly for outbreaks first run but we have some ideas of how we can improve the design :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Return to Beginners Questions