Noob needs some advise

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Noob needs some advise

Postby Mormash » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 am

Hi guys, I recently purchased a plated column still from my local hbs and have attempted to run two 25l TPW's with minimal success.
My still is currently set up five bubble tee's high with a packed column and is powered by 2x 2200w elements. The cooling system is recirculated tank water using a 350w pump.
Trying to balance the plates in full reflux has been extremely difficult as one element doesn't seem to create enough heat and when I set the second element to 88deg using a PID it can't hold a constant temp as it's either ramping up or cooling down.
I've recently bought a variable voltage controller from eBay to hopefully solve this problem with temp fluctuations but haven't tried it as it's yet to arrive.

When I finally do manage to balance the plates and begin the process my abv starts off at around 94% then quickly begins to drop at a steady rate throughout the entire run.

I'm hoping that the problems with abv are directly caused by inadequate temp control but I just thought I'd ask here to see if it could be due to other problems. I've checked for leaks during both runs and haven't found any.

Any feedback would be appreciated as the sooner i can learn to drive this thing the sooner i can get started doing all-grain whisky runs.
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Re: Noob needs some advise

Postby scythe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 am

Post some pics of your still that will help us work it out.

Sounds to me like its the fault of the PID.
You CANNOT control a still by temperature, its just not going to work.
As you have noticed it wont hold the temp, this is because the heat put into the wash from the elements is quickly lost when the vapours are produced.
A PID controller cannot react quickly enough to maintain the temp.

Have a look in the newbies corner at this link:
CLICK ME!

As for the %ABV issue this could be because you are running the output too fast.
How fast was your output rate?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:24 am

Does your pid allow you to set a max value output? (manipulative high or mh)
You might be able to set an upper limit throttling back the element. Sort of like a psuedo power controller that you just set to max temp and let the mh do the power controlling for you.
Say 50% of 2200 plus a second controller for example.
I know most home or cheap pids might not let you.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby orcy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am

Your voltage controller should help a lot. As mentioned, the PID really wont work for this application.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby woodduck » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 am

They are all on the money :handgestures-thumbupleft: get your controller running and read this and you'll be fine.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2681
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Mormash » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. My voltage controller arrived a few days ago and after giving it a test run in my all grain system it seems to control the temp well. Im pretty excited to try the next TPW this weekend.

Just another question- im about to begin my first wash of BWKO and I bought whole wheat. Will this be fine or do I need rolled wheat? Ive got my own mill so would i benefit from milling the wheat and barley?
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm

You don't have to mill it but I definitely would if I had a mill, it would have to help release flavours.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Beginners Questions