stripping run question!!!!

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

stripping run question!!!!

Postby freckle_bunny » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 am

ok, so hubby and I are having a disagreement, so hopefully someone can help.

I have a pot still & use the birdwatchers wash, so my question is: can I take too much from a stripping run? is there meant to be a cutoff point or %.

I used to strip run till about 10% in 100ml which gave me about 7-9 litres, now I dont bother checking the % and take 9 litres off everytime. hubby says Im taking too much, is he correct???

anyways, any help would be great on this subject, thanks..

:D :D :D :D :D :D
freckle_bunny

equipment: AirStill
Alembic Pot Still

Re: stripping run question!!!!

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:46 am

You can go as far as you like. I only go to 20% because I don't think the power usage is worth the little bit extra spirit I get.

I would definitely use a alcometer, you don't want too much water in you spirit, too many off flavours for my liking.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 am

:text-+1: 20% for me to :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 am

Many strip to about 20% abv. I've come to recognise over time what this "looks" like when it's entering my cuts jars as when it gets to this lower percentage it doesn't mix with the rest of the product well and you see a lot of turbulence like patterns as the product coming out of your condenser tries to dissolve into the rest of the jar. I stop collecting when I get to this point and don't bother measuring abv. I don't use a parrot. It's a personal preference when you stop collecting on a stripping run.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions