Beginning from scratch

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Beginning from scratch

Postby A&O » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Right, the world works in wonders at times. It’s school holidays and I’ve been out with the kids at a Pokémon trade thing then had lunch together. On the way home, I just had this feeling I needed to go to the scrap metal yard to have a look, with miss 8 and mr 5 in tow. So the 3 of us wondering around in pluggers climbing in and out of bins full of all sorts. My misses would have had a heartattack.

As fate will have it, I spotted a glimmer of copper in the sun shining through this god awful blue paint. I grabbed a 12” pulley and walked this pipe to remove some paint and thank the heavens it’s copper. About 1.2m and a 1m length of 4”. For me this is winning the lotto. Then I thought bugger, can’t put it in the misses car, I’ll loose my 2 best friends. I had a chat to old mate, well he will be soon, make sure he doesn’t sell this on me, I’ll be back tomorrow to take them. $20 all paid, and I’m most happy.

So, with no shed, hopefully by the end of the month barring weather delays, the still I was in no rush to start has started. I have been scribbling for a couple of months as I’ve been reading through post after post working out what I want to build. So I have a reasonable picture in my head. Going to have to go shopping for tools now too since everything got cremated in the shed fire back in may.

Basically a 4” blockhead column with modular perforated plate sections (4 to start but may build 6) & a packed section sitting on top of a CUB 50l keg heated by 2x 2400w electrical heaters. I scanned the scribbles for all to comment and pass on wisdom.

At this stage I’m thinking of making it a glasser as I’m hooked on the look, but I’ve got so much 4” I might not too.

But first things first. The pipe is painted this gnarley blue. Not know anything about paint apart from it comes in different colours, what is going to be my best way of removing paint from copper, preferably without using HD chemicals?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Re: Beginning from scratch

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:56 am

Looks like your well on your way.
Hang on and enjoy the ride.
As for the paint you could try just scraping it off or a light sanding.
I would probably go with paint stripper and sanding though.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby woodduck » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:02 am

Looks good mate. I would try sneek one more 1/2" tube into you pc if you can but not 100% necessary.

I'm with stig, paint stripper and sanding will be the best but if you don't want to use chemicals just sanding OR wizz down the carwash joint and try the pressure cleaner, thats if it's a bit flaky and you think it might come off.

Good luck mate, I'll be keeping an eye on this one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sugardaddy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 am

Are you thinking of using bubble caps or perforated plates :think:
You could always go for glasser at the bottom of column then copper at top with copper packed section.
Have you seen the glasser design that does not involve all the nuts and threaded rods on the outside? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Ok, home with $50 of bits and pieces. Old mate found another length of 4” for me as long as he gets a jar of nectar once I’m up and going. Now I need to find some 1/4” and 2” and a short bit of 1” then I’m pretty much done for copper and just need some SS bits and pieces for the boiler legs. I’ve started my shopping list for FSD, but just going to see what I can get local first.

I’m not sure Sugardaddy if I’m going to use perf plates or bubble caps. From what I’ve read so far there’s no real better way of going. I’m still learning and reading as I’m happy to go either way at the moment.

The paint is going to be a problem, going to have a go with a wire brush on the grinder to see if that’s going to get it. I’m a bit of an environmentalist (I only eat vegan meat) so trying to not use HD chemicals unless absolutely nessesary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

Postby Huntsman96 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey mate plans look great :) excited to see how it all goes for you. Just wondering which scrappy you're going to. Guy seems to have the motherload.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:10 pm

What is vegan meat? x_x
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm

AG Scrap in Albany. I’m getting the itch to make a start, can’t wait for the little sprigs get back to school next week.

The wife is vegan, so no animal products for her, me I’ll eat anything as long as it ate vegetables/grass and most things green. Sorry my bad dad jokes.
A&O

Postby andybear » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:37 pm

Funny, one of the pieces of 4" I bought had the same blue paint. I still have it as a spare.
Plans look good, I would lengthen the nozzle off the boiler to about 200mm, this helps when it starts to puke. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Lowie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Mate, that copper was a great score! Just hit it wit a wire wheel (if you've got a 4" angle grinder pick up a small wheel from bunnos). Looking at your plans it appears you have used the forum to your best advantage - that's what its for. it will be a cracking bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I have to say though, I don't know why blokes go to the trouble of 2 x 2400w elements. I've got a 3000w (bought it from a china man on fleabay) that gets my boiler up to speed in 45 mins - you need that time to gin around and get your shit together anyway :-D . I also use a power controller (lots of people don't) which allows me to use less power AND less water. crack on and post plenty of pics :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Professor Green » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:32 am

Lowie wrote: I have to say though, I don't know why blokes go to the trouble of 2 x 2400w elements. I've got a 3000w (bought it from a china man on fleabay) that gets my boiler up to speed in 45 mins

I expect most folks only have access to 10 amp points so running 2 x 2400 from 2 different circuits is viable. You would not be able to safely run your 3000 watt element from a standard single domestic point.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby scythe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:35 am

I think you will find that the paint is to signify what was flowing through it in the factory it was taken out of.
Probably water, air is usually a lighter blue.

I would keep a grinder away from the pipe, its too easy to damage the copper and then its too hard to blend it all back in.
I would just use some emery/sand paper for paint.
But I would also rather use paint stripper than inhale the toxic paint dust you'll be making.

Either way wear breathing protection.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Now I’ve cut up some of my bits, they are having a little bath in a vinegar solution. I’ll have to turn them over and around soon as I didn’t have much vinegar.

I have heard that boiling the painted copper in a pot with water and bicarb will remove the paint. Once I’ve cleaned everything up a little I’m going to give it a go.
A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm

24hr sitting in vinegar solution and results are pretty good. With a bit of light scrubbing with a pot scrourer the vinegar has worked pretty well as a paint remover. So I’m not going to sacrifice a stock pot and boil everything in bicarb, as the vinegar is working a treat. So plan now is to grab the other garden bucket to put clean vinegar in and keep this bucket for scrubbing. They can have another 24hr bath and they should come up a treat.

AEDB7489-4C91-4EE2-8959-9D1073D50C53.jpeg

E29B1876-D155-40BD-8108-98D2750CB390.jpeg

B9067C23-29E3-456A-A0F2-769E20161F75.jpeg

5CC4D07E-52F3-4115-81C5-6B9CB143452C.jpeg

FAA5A9E7-FB19-4716-A75B-E8329EB4CB84.jpeg
A&O

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 am

deja vu, I've seen this somewhere before :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I'd recommend trying to stick it all in the one thread mate, it will make it way easier to follow and you won't have to post it twice :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good work by the way
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Beginners Questions