Wash water source

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Wash water source

Postby ruskie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi all

I am very new to distilling and have a question on the water to use for your wash. I must admit I am a water snob I like to drink my home filtered water rather than town (tap) or bottled water. Was thinking that using the filtered water in the wash would produce a betting product then the tap water. My thinking behind that is that some of the big US distillers to boast that the use spring water sourced from [Insert location here] spring.

So what do others think?
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Re: Wash water source

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:52 pm

I asked a similar question, and to me a lot of it depends on what you are trying to produce. For example, from the advice on here, I decided to use spring water (albeit coles brand) for my all grain whisky. For sugarheads though, we just used tap water and we are very very impressed with the quality of the spirit.

I guess it came down to the fact that we were dropping relatively large dollars on grain and would have kicked ourselves if tap water tainted the product for the sake of $20 odd in water.

You will get plenty of opinions here, all of them with merit, but like everything, it will ultimately come down to you.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby woodduck » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 pm

For what it’s worth I use tap water for washes and cheap brought spring water for diluting final spirit. I'm no connoisseur but I don't find any off flavours in my drink not even in vodka. Totally up to you what you use mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm

:text-+1: just watch how you get the water to your fermenter. Garden hose gives strong flavour as does the light blue white lined "drinking water" hose. I now use the clear reinforced drinking hose from ibrew or supacheap and it works a treat :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 pm

That's an interesting point bluc. I have never considered the hose giving off flavours. Isn't it amazing the simple things you can not consider whilst over thinking everything else! lol
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 pm

I have one of those under sink water filters, use it for everything :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sugardaddy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 pm

I have used rain water, store bought natural spring water & town water from the garden hose. I could not tell the difference in the taste of the product at the other end. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I put down washes now straight from the garden hose for convenience....,
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:That's an interesting point bluc. I have never considered the hose giving off flavours. Isn't it amazing the simple things you can not consider whilst over thinking everything else! lol

I have a bottle of garden hose whiskey :laughing-rolling: it tastes like water from a garden hose on a 40 degree summers day...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Hmm, well if I ever get up to sunny Queensland, I don't want to try that! :text-lol:
ThePaterPiper

Postby Plumby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 pm

woodduck wrote:For what it’s worth I use tap water for washes and cheap brought spring water for diluting final spirit. I'm no connoisseur but I don't find any off flavours in my drink not even in vodka. Totally up to you what you use mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Professor Green » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:38 am

I use a cheap inline water filter from Bunnings to remove the chlorine and other shite that's now in our water. It just clicks into standard hose fittings and does not restrict the flow too much.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 am

I will now however use the water from my RO sytem for everything :happy-partydance: very very clean water :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ruskie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will experiment and see what the outcome is, my drinking water comes from a zazen alkaline water filter system it is just going to be a very very slow process to get 25L for a wash.

Professor Green wrote:I use a cheap inline water filter from Bunnings to remove the chlorine and other shite that's now in our water. It just clicks into standard hose fittings and does not restrict the flow too much.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

I have one of those in my camper trailer might get that out and give it a go too, will be much faster to get enough water.
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 pm

I find that the quality of water at the dilution to drink stage has the most noticeable effect. However it does depend on where you are and what your town water is like!!
I find our town water atrocious to drink, it can be done, but why would you?!? :wtf:

Quality in = quality out (there are exception, if your talented! :D )
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Kenster » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:43 pm

if you are lucky enough to have a RO system ( Go Wooduck) that is obviously a no brainer. Town water has chlorine, which supposedly impacts on yeast to some degree, but leaving tap water just sit in a drum for a day or so will evaporate it out without any probs..Next is the tricky one, CHLORAMINE, is put into the water by injecting ammonia into the system. It will not readily break down.These are not great to really have in water but can be oxidised out (removed) by adding only a few ml of Pottasium Metabisulphide to a 40 lit batch of tap water. This treats both chlorine and chloramine in a very short space of time...my preferred option. As for dilution of spirits... i have a still... so i distill my own water... cant get much cleaner than that.
I just run my pot for a few hours and i know what i am getting... spring water on the other hand... not really sure what is in it or where it comes from.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby EziTasting » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 am

Just read an interesting article on brewers friend blogs about what you find in water and how it affects the ‘beer’ taste.

I guess we are making beer in the first place, before distilling it so it could be the thing that ultimately changes our Whisky from good to grate! As I prefer mine neat with a splash of water I find this very interesting!

Brewing Water Basics, part 1
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby db1979 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm

I use garden hose for washes and diluting stripped product down to 40% for spirit runs. The undersink water filter for diluting final product from spirit runs.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions