Different washes ans outcomes side by side

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Different washes ans outcomes side by side

Postby davesims » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 am

Hi all

Over the past couple of months i have run a few different washes and have now had time to sit down and try them all side by side.The washes i have tried out are the TPW, Kale and FFV, all have been distilled the same (my noodie way) Stripped then ran on a T500, then ran through a Fuselex carbon filter

With 4 different people on a double blind test , for us the TeddySads FFV wins hand down for all of us as neutral , no smell, no taste

I will be sticking with this wash going forward for sure

Question, the recipe calls for 4 kg of sugar and 50g yeast and 23 liters water, would it be ok to stretch to 6 kg of sugar and maybe up the yeast to 80g?
davesims

equipment: T500 copper and the usual noobie bits and pieces

Re: Different washes ans outcomes side by side

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks for posting the results, it’s great to see what people prefer, I might give the FFV a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you up the sugar you will start to stress the yeast which will start giving you off flavours so all your taste testing will go out the window. Putting in more yeast doesn't seem to help.

The tried and proven recipes are in there for a reason, because they are good and they work well. If you change the recipe the results can't be guaranteed.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby baznkez » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 am

Hey ,
I am curios to know what was the yield from the wash once put through the t500
baznkez

equipment: turbo 500 & alembic pot with controller

Postby davesims » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 am

woodduck wrote:Thanks for posting the results, it’s great to see what people prefer, I might give the FFV a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you up the sugar you will start to stress the yeast which will start giving you off flavours so all your taste testing will go out the window. Putting in more yeast doesn't seem to help.

The tried and proven recipes are in there for a reason, because they are good and they work well. If you change the recipe the results can't be guaranteed.

Cheers Mr Duck, i will just do larger washes, here comes a 220 liter wash
davesims

Postby davesims » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am

baznkez wrote:Hey ,
I am curios to know what was the yield from the wash once put through the t500

Hi Baznkez

The started off with 2 x 46 liter washes, stripped into also 20 liter low wines, i ended up with after cutting around 5 liters at 94%
davesims

Return to Beginners Questions