Advice of Molasses & Corn

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Advice of Molasses & Corn

Postby Borneogoat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:52 am

I looking to step up my game from basic sugar washes. Rum using some molasses and various whiskeys that include corn. Looking around for molasses and corn, it seems the local livestock feed supplier might be a good option. Any reason I shouldn't use these bulk-priced animal foods, rather than more expensive grocery store versions? Is there anything that might be in them that is bad for our purposes?

Molasses = https://www.essentialanimal.com.au/products/hs-mol25
Crushed maized, which I assume is AKA "cracked corn" = https://www.essentialanimal.com.au/products/gr-cramaize
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Re: Advice of Molasses & Corn

Postby Plumby » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 am

No reason you can't use them mate, I use cracked corn from a local farmer for my ujsm. I'm pretty sure for rum you want no sulfur added molasses, i'm not sure as I don't make rum but one of the rum boys will correct me if I'm wrong.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby nuddy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I've mostly used bundaberg refinery molasses (food grade) for my rums with raw sugar added, comes out nice.
However currently running an all molasses wash using feedstock (blackstrap) molasses. Fermenting like a champ.

Honestly its up to you. But definitely stick clear of sulphured molasses, doesn't like to ferment.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Feedstore mollases is fine. Buy a small amount to make sure it ferments first :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 pm

if you have a Jamiesons rural supply store down there, freemantle molasses is the go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Minpac » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 pm

I use feedstock cracked corn and proper malted barley. About to pickup some feed wheat to try a wheaty whiskey. Go for it, if you've got some way of converting the starch (enzyme/malt).
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Borneogoat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 am

Sounds like feedstore ingredients are fine, as long as I can confirm the molasses is unsulfured. The store wasn't sure about the sulfur content and is asking the supplier, probably not a standard question for them. Anyone used this brand of molasses before and know if it's sulfured?

Minipac, you mentioned enzymes and that is on my shopping list too. Got a AUS source for them? I've tried googling a bit, but the various types and alternate-naming got me a bit confused...

Borneogoat

Postby Minpac » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:56 pm

The HBS sell amylase in little packets, but otherwise, I've not found a cheap local source for the bottles. Enzymash seems to be a common source, it's not cheap, but should conversation a lot...
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Borneogoat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks for the Enzymash tip. A bit expensive, but one kit should last a long time assuming the enzymes have a reasonable shelf life!
Borneogoat

Return to Beginners Questions