Legalities of owning a still?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Legalities of owning a still?

Postby Listo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:32 pm

G'day,
I've got a firearms audit coming up & am wondering how my brew area will go when it happens?
Cheers
Listo
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Re: Legalities of owning a still?

Postby crow » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I think it would be wise to pack your still up and have it stored away during the audit. I'm guessing they will have no reason to check anyway except what concerned your fire arms and if that's all in order you should be golden but personally I wouldn't be comfortable having distilling gear laying around.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Dyno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 pm

At an educated guess prolly not so good. Dismantle what needs to be dismantled, spread it around a bit maybe. If it’s beer brewing gear lying around you’ll be fine
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Definately put anything distilling related out of sight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wineleader » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:50 pm

A colleague distiller has a neighbour who is a policeman and nice guy. He never puts him in a position where he sees the equipment therefore not compromising his position.
Best to pull it down so everyone is protected. Good luck
Wineleader

equipment: T500 and matching pot still

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:30 pm

The legality is you can own a still of up to 5 litre capacity for the purpose of distilling water or essential oils. Anything bigger than that is illegal.

Distilling alcohol without a license is illegal. Period.

Would not be leaving anything set up.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Listo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks lads, I might try to organise it for Wednesday instead of tomorrow. There's a few full brew buckets to move too
Listo
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm

So you got pre warning of an audit? Is that normal or can they just pop in whenever they like? Is it a normal come have a look or is it something special for a particular reason? I've had a check up by the local once but he mainly came round to sign over a couple of guns. What experiences have others had?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby crow » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm

yep notification and an audit, checked out how they were stored what guns and that the storage complied. Long as ya doing the right thing as far as the regs go its no big deal. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Listo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm

That's about it Crow. It's not hard to do the right thing either, bolt your safe down & keep your bolts separate.
Listo
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm doing the right thing when it comes to guns. It would just make me more comfortable knowing I've got a bit of time to put all my stilln stuff away before they get there. Even if it was just a day :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 pm

They always give notice.

If they are coming to kick your door in they know your fucked before they even get there.

Probably been enough firearm related threads for a home distillation forum for a while :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 pm

I just chuck a sheet over mine, they are only inspecting guns and storage, they are not allowed to look at anything else. I've got one coming up soon, requirements have changed. Maybe the small town cops just don't care that much, I've never dismantled anything and had 3 in the last few years, every time we add to the collection they come knocking. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Return to Beginners Questions