Perf plate hole size

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Perf plate hole size

Postby A&O » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm

G’day all. I have read most people use 1.5mm holes in their perf plates, but I have a mate that has bought with him from NZ some plates that have 160 holes at 2.5mm. He is willing to part ways with them as he’s never got around to building a still and figures if I use them and supply him with a bottle every run he’s in front.

To put some context to my question, I’m building a 50l keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements and at this stage I’m not going to run a controller. I’ve got the pipe to make a 4x4” modules with a 500mm packed section. In time I might add 2 more modules if the need arises.

So my question is will it matter these plates have 160x2.5mm holes and will my boiler keep them loaded in theory?

Thanks guys.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Re: Perf plate hole size

Postby scythe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 am

2.5mm holes are 1.77 times bigger than 1.5mm holes.
How far apart are they?
Its going to take a fair bit of power to run them not sure if 4.8kW unregulated will be just enough or too much.
I dont think 2.4kW will be enough.

Sounds to me like its a bad deal.
Just make your own.
If your worried about drilling thousands of holes just stack the playes up and drill them all at the same time so its only 270ish holes to drill.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:58 am

its not the size of the holes its how many on a 1.6 mm hole how many are used
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby db1979 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 am

scythe wrote:If your worried about drilling thousands of holes just stack the playes up and drill them all at the same time so its only 270ish holes to drill.

This doesn't work, the copper grabs the drill bit and it snaps. I remember reading on here a few months ago someone managed to do it but I can't remember what it was they did to get it to work.

It really isn't that difficult to drill them. Comfy chair, something to rest your arms on, a few beers and you're away.

Maybe take your mates plates and give them a try, if they work with 2400 W then you're all good to go, if not, make your own.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby A&O » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 am

Cheers everyone for the insight, I might pass as I feared , I might not be able to run them effectively.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby scythe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 am

The key to drilling stacked plates is to have them securly clamped down so they cannot move.
Also with such small holes you will need to peck drill down through the plates.

Copper is a long chipping material that needs to be kept cool or it will get "sticky" and bind up in the flutes of the drill causing it to snap.
You will also need to spin the drill at about 16, 000rpm due to the small diameter.
Try using a dremal-drill-press attachment.

Its easy to overload small drills and snap them
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby orcy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

I used my dremel. Worked great. I did find the drill bits blunted to almost unusable after 100 holes or so.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Sugardaddy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 pm

db1979 wrote:
It really isn't that difficult to drill them. Comfy chair, something to rest your arms on, a few beers and you're away.

Wish you were the safety officer at our work place.... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby db1979 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 am

Sugardaddy wrote:
db1979 wrote:

Wish you were the safety officer at our work place.... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

No cause for alarm, I was wearing my thongs.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions