Time to step up a notch.....

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Time to step up a notch.....

Postby Hairy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Gday,
A bit about what I've done and got so you can get an idea of where Im trying to go.......
I started out with a SS Super reflux still on a 5l boiler using all home brew shop gear......when that couldn't keep up I progressed to a Ultra Pure LM reflux column on a 25l boiler, still using HBS gear.....then to TPW.....started doing cuts and built a parrot and started soaking in oak etc....
Yes in hindsight I could have saved myself some money by starting off different but that's irrelevant now .......
Anyway I've been reading this site now for over a year now and think I've learnt enough to take the next step and try a CFW or BWKO.
Rather than go out and buy/make a pot still and have something else that almost does the job or buy/make a bubbler/glasser and find out I don't get the time and I revert back to just making neutrals, I want to give it a bash using what I have and see If its what I want to do.

I think I've got a few options, a few questions, and would love some peoples opinions and suggestions........

(my pot still???) I've disconnected the water supply from the reflux condenser on the SS reflux still and only running water through the Liebig? I just gave it a run with just water and it runs at 97 degrees in the column and 1.7 l/h output. Is this Ok for stripping runs? And if I fitted a voltage controller do you reckon it would then be ok for spirit runs?

Another option was to rip the element out of the 5l SS boiler and add it to the 25l Pure Still boiler with a voltage controller and fit the SS reflux/now pot head to the bigger boiler with the two elements? Extra heat for stripping runs with the option to dial right back for spirit runs? Then I can put the Pure still column back on for neutrals when I want that option.

Would adding an extension to the column be of much advantage, remembering its just a trial thing?

Id rather not rip the copper scrubbers out of the Ultra pure, but is that a better option too, rather than using the SS reflux?

Keeping in mind Im a boilermaker/welder by trade and plan on building a keg boiler and probably glasser if the BWKO is the direction I decide to take, so really don't want to out lay much money on this project as its all pretty temporary at this stage????

Anyway I hope that makes sense and Im on the right track.....look forward to your input

Cheers
Hairy
Hairy

equipment: SS Super Reflux, Pure Still

Re: Time to step up a notch.....

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm

1.7L/hr is quite slow for a strip run.

If you have time to wait for a 2" reflux still you have time to wait for a 4" bubbler.
Seems a shame to waste all your boily skills and make a glasser tho.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:06 pm

:text-+1: lol I think most people take the "temporary quick fix route" if you like a drink and have time to kill you will like this hobby and the spirits you make. Def go bubbler. I have had a pot for quite a while now but regret not going the bubbler straight up. The 2" pot is just so slow :crying-blue:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm not familiar with these stills at all so i had a quick google. The super reflux looks like it's plastic, if it is will it get too hot? Is the ultra a slant plate boka type still? If so that to me would be your best option I recon, as long as there's no plastic in there that will get too hot. Take the packing out and run it with the take off wide open for the strip run and use a power controller to do the spirit run, still with the take off wide open. Not sure if I'm on the right track or not but hopefully someone that's used these will be able to help a bit more.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 pm

The problem I see is when you try and run those stills as pot stills the result is never going to be anything special ,the useual respose is disapointment and the thought that its not worth it,and my response would be that the thing is made to make neutral and the element size is bigger at say 2000wt plus and for pot stillin 1000wt would be fine ,I would go for makeing a pot still that would mount to the 25lt boiler,2inch by say 450mm colomn then 2 by 90'elbows to a 450mm shotgun condencer,why you ask ,well the shotty and elbows will be needed for the four plater and ifn ya run a packed section you will need the 450mm colomn ta bring ya output height down when makeing neutral with the packed section,you get the proper pot still ta use on the 25lt boiler and everything ya make has multiple use's ifn ya make it modula and use tri clamps ,it will also work well on ya future keg boiler,for either stripping or just pot stillin.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Hairy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 am

hillzabilly wrote:The problem I see is when you try and run those stills as pot stills the result is never going to be anything special ,the useual respose is disapointment and the thought that its not worth it,and my response would be that the thing is made to make neutral and the element size is bigger at say 2000wt plus and for pot stillin 1000wt would be fine ,I would go for makeing a pot still that would mount to the 25lt boiler,2inch by say 450mm colomn then 2 by 90'elbows to a 450mm shotgun condencer,why you ask ,well the shotty and elbows will be needed for the four plater and ifn ya run a packed section you will need the 450mm colomn ta bring ya output height down when makeing neutral with the packed section,you get the proper pot still ta use on the 25lt boiler and everything ya make has multiple use's ifn ya make it modula and use tri clamps ,it will also work well on ya future keg boiler,for either stripping or just pot stillin.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

When you say "not special " do you mean the quality of the product or the performance of the still? Im not bothered about the performance as hopefully it will only be a one or two off.......as I said......,.,If I like the result, I won't mind spending some money and start to put together something I probably should have right from the start. ......?Cheers
Last edited by Sam. on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post
Hairy

equipment: SS Super Reflux, Pure Still

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Both ,thats what I was getting at ,your not likely to be impressed by the result wich then means ya not likely to lash out any more coin,makeing judgements on substandard one offs is not a good idear in my book unless ya like ta gamble and waste time effort and money,your choice,trying ta turn a sow's ear into a silk purse does not work for me.And I have 4 stills getting dusty on the shelf ta proove it,and you are trying ta step up a notch not go the other way . ;-) cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Kenster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Ripping the element out of yr 5lt boiler makes no sense as it kills the future use of that boiler. For less than 20 bucks you can fit a 3500w element (Fleabay) to your existing boiler and it not only give you heaps of grunt for stripping but cranks down nicely with a controller.This alteration may prolong your need to build a keg, the keg downside being, LONG processing time with twice the volume to initially heat up and subsequently distill.(if you are not going at it big time)
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Beginners Questions