Issues balancing plates

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Issues balancing plates

Postby nuddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Mormash wrote:
bluc wrote:Do your seals have the centre bit removed? Usually the bit inside the ridge gets removed then the plate sits inside. Unless there is a groove cut into the tee for plate to sit in..

I reckon that's going to be the solution, bluc. I've been stewing over the idea of removing the inner part of the seals or shaving the outsides of the plates.

So if I cut the inside of the seals should I be safe to cut it right up flush with the centre rib?Yep, if you trim the inner piece of the seal off up to the rib and your plate will fit in up to the rib on the seal, that's how macs bubblers seal. Granted I don't know what size your plates are.

I would generally just try it before asking however the hbs is all out of seals and I've got 3 60l washes ready to go so don't wanna risk messing this up.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby orcy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:42 pm

If your worried about overcutting, sit the plate on top.of the seal and cut around it with a scalpel or exacto knife so you get it dead right
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Mormash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm

orcy wrote:If your worried about overcutting, sit the plate on top.of the seal and cut around it with a scalpel or exacto knife so you get it dead right

Good idea I'll do that. Thanks a lot for all your advise guys. I don't know anybody with a still so it's awesome to be able to come here and get advise from the pro's! :dance:

I can't wait to finally get it all sealed and give it a run. :happy-partydance:
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Just reading through your thread, and I don't have a bubbler (yet) so take this any way you like, but have you tried swapping the plate positions? That should identify if it is a leaking DC or BC.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't have bubble-Ts either, but looking at FSD website, the pics there may offer some guidance:

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 5.37.43 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 5.37.23 pm.png

See what that looks like in comparison to yours ... perhaps it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Do your sight glass tees have a recess around the inner rim at one end? If so, the bubble plate should sit in the recess with the silicon seal on top of that so that when the next section is clamped on top, the bottom if squeezes the inner part of the seal down on to the top of the plate causing it to seal.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Lowie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Cut your seal (inner diameter) up to the rib mate so your plate fits snug on top of the column (metal to metal) then sit your other column on top of that and so forth for the rest of the columns. This will give you a nice clean seal. This should solve your problem. Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BTW, nice distilling and brewing set up mate!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Mormash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:Just reading through your thread, and I don't have a bubbler (yet) so take this any way you like, but have you tried swapping the plate positions? That should identify if it is a leaking DC or BC.

I haven't tried that yet but I will change them around when I disassemble it. Those tee's look exactly like mine so hopefully when I cut the seals they fit just as snug, thanks piper
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Mormash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Professor Green wrote:Do your sight glass tees have a recess around the inner rim at one end? If so, the bubble plate should sit in the recess with the silicon seal on top of that so that when the next section is clamped on top, the bottom if squeezes the inner part of the seal down on to the top of the plate causing it to seal.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

I'm not quite sure, prof but ill have a look when I get home. That's nice to know as I wasn't aware of that, cheers.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Mormash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Lowie wrote:Cut your seal (inner diameter) up to the rib mate so your plate fits snug on top of the column (metal to metal) then sit your other column on top of that and so forth for the rest of the columns. This will give you a nice clean seal. This should solve your problem. Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Awesome, lowie. I wanted to do that a while ago but as the hbs didn't have any spare seals I didn't want to risk ruining them by changing anything. What you've said makes sense to me and thanks for the kind words in regards to my set up. It's been a ling time coming but I finally found the coin to buy it all. Now just gotta learn how to use it all!
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Lowie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:10 am

Mormash wrote:
Lowie wrote:Cut your seal (inner diameter) up to the rib mate so your plate fits snug on top of the column (metal to metal) then sit your other column on top of that and so forth for the rest of the columns. This will give you a nice clean seal. This should solve your problem. Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Awesome, lowie. I wanted to do that a while ago but as the hbs didn't have any spare seals I didn't want to risk ruining them by changing anything. What you've said makes sense to me and thanks for the kind words in regards to my set up. It's been a ling time coming but I finally found the coin to buy it all. Now just gotta learn how to use it all!

Don't stress about the seals mate. Mac should have plenty and they cost bugger all - cost you more for postage so buy a few spares. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Mormash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:23 am

Hey guys, I managed to get some new seals from the HBS and cut the inner layer out but after assembling the still and filling it up with water I found that it still leaks. The seals seem to fit perfectly and the plates now fit snug without obstructing the seals but it leaks at every join. I've tried starting with the least amount of pressure on the tri-clamp, drying the plate and giving it half turns until it's at its maximum and it leaks at every position. I could try using vaseline on the seals but I can't imagine that will last too long.

Is this common to have issues trying to seal these things up?
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:37 am

You may have cut too much out. My understanding is the plate needs to seal around the outer most edge by forcing the seal to flatten and push onto that plate edge by forcing the 2 tees together with the clamps. If you've cut too much out the seal may not be expanding/flattening out enough to reach the plate edge. Can you post a photo of the seal sitting around the plate before its fitted up, it might help us work it out.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Mormash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:56 pm

woodduck wrote:You may have cut too much out. My understanding is the plate needs to seal around the outer most edge by forcing the seal to flatten and push onto that plate edge by forcing the 2 tees together with the clamps. If you've cut too much out the seal may not be expanding/flattening out enough to reach the plate edge. Can you post a photo of the seal sitting around the plate before its fitted up, it might help us work it out.

They were leaking before I trimmed them but I assumed that the plate was obstructing the seal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Looks like it should seal up but we'll have to wait and see what these other blokes that run them recon.

It’s not a loose cap is it? The bolt on top pf the cap pulls the riser up to seal against the plate as it tightens if one of them are loose it may be leaking out of there?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm

If the plate is supposed to sit ‘on’ the seal edge then you’re seals are to far away from the plates (dazed on your pics)...

But you’re seals are looking quite ‘wonky’ like they don’t really fit the grooves of your ‘T’s...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Rush006 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:36 pm

make sure your plates are fitting the recess in the T above them. when fitting together give them a little wiggle to ensure they are seated properly.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Have ya checked ifn the ends of ya tee sections are all flat by sitting them on a piece of glass and checking if they wobble.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby nuddy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:07 am

hillzabilly wrote:Have ya checked ifn the ends of ya tee sections are all flat by sitting them on a piece of glass and checking if they wobble.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

:text-+1: a few of my SGT’s warped ever so slightly on the 4” ferrules when I welded em which caused a slow leak.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby Mormash » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 am

Well I smeared some vaseline on the seals and carefully assembled it while filling each tee up with water as i went and it worked temporarily but it didn't last long as one plate dried up in no time during my last run.
When I disassemble it tonight I'll do what hillzabilly recommended and check for warping.

Thanks for all the advise here guys!
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions