Issues balancing plates

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Issues balancing plates

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:26 pm

If your first tee was connected direct to boiler recess would be on bottom of all tees correct?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:29 pm

If you didn't have an intermediate section with a recess then yes that would be the only way to do it.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Lowie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:42 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Oh yeh and one other detail I forgot ta mention was I run the seals thru my mouth ta get them wet with a bit of spit befor assembleing (ok guy's keep it clean :shhh: ).cheers hillzabilly ;-)

You know what I'm thinking don't ya mate. And it involves Cameron Diaz.... :teasing-tease:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:44 pm

:D :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Lowie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Honestly, this shouldn't be that difficult really, and I'm guessing blokes like us that run bubblers could fix it quickly. Anybody live close to this fella to sort it out? If he was a croweater I'd gladly help him out. This is the problem with a hbs selling shit they know sfa about!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Wrong state for me :angry-banghead: :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Mormash » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi guys I've had a lot going on lately so haven't had a chance to give an update on how things are going.
Just to answer some questions, my tee's haven't got a recess but if they did that would have solved these issues and I did buy some black edmp seals which worked much better however it didn't entirely stop the leaks no matter how carefully I assembled the column.
As it turned out, one of the owners of the hbs took one of these stills home to give it a run and experienced exactly the same problems. It seems that the copper plates are simply too thick which makes me wonder how thick they should be as mine are about 1.55ml.
As they don't make thicker tri-clover gaskets it's mind boggling as to why they would mass produce these plates unless of course they were made specifically for recessed columns.
I've tried doubling up the seals with no luck as because they have to be cut so thin they don't sit where I want them to under even the slightest amount of pressure.
I searched every store for silicon baking sheets with no luck and just as I was about to resort to eBay I received a message from the hbs saying they've found a solution and it's all sorted but as I'm working nights I was asleep when he called. I'll know more tomorrow.

If you guys could let me know how thick your plates are it be appreciated as I'm really curious to know.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys and for taking the time to help me solve this, you're all awesome!
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 am

Mine are 1.6-1.7mm ,and I am really interested ta hear what the HBS's solution is ,as this seams ta be a not uncommon problem of late .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Mormash » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:15 am

hillzabilly wrote:Mine are 1.6-1.7mm ,and I am really interested ta hear what the HBS's solution is ,as this seams ta be a not uncommon problem of late .cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Thanks hillzabilly. Without going back through the thread I'm pretty sure you said that you didn't have a recess on your tee's. If your plates are slightly thicker than mine then I cant understand how you can get them to seal at all considering everything else is 4" standard tri-clover.
Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: Has this problem been mentioned a bit lately here? I'd love to read through the threads if it has been.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am

A couple of my tee's were slightly distorted from welding,the area above and below the sight glass ,wich I presume is the case for you and others,stainless has a reputation for pulling when welded and with the tee's the side with the sight glass gets a fair bit more welding and heat and this distorts the 4inch ferrule in that area,pulling the outside edge down towards the sight glass,so ifn you have a couple that are distorted in line with each other then the gap is twice as big.I staightened mine by bending the edge back up and hammering it slightly on a heavy piece of plate steel I have,then smoothed everything back by putting fine emery paper on a small pane of glass and rubbing it in a figure 8 patern with a little water,worked for me .Ifn you stack your tee's without seals and plates it may be a bit more obviouse.The problem can be manifested by falling ABV dureing a run with some plates failing ta load to their normal level or external leaks and a lower than normal ABV,I am fairly certain ifn your tee's are dead flat you would not have a problem,and think the recessing of tee's helps ta avoid problems even ifn ya have a slight distortion.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Cheersbigears » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Just one other thing to look at, But this is if you have no leaks. If you have some copper mesh at the bottom of your plate it may be too wound to tight so just take a little out and roll it a little looser so it doesn't get a air lock and the plates can load up the same.. Mine done this had me pulling my hair out at the start too.
As well make sure the plates don't have a bur on them.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Mormash » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Hi guys. Just as an update the hbs came through with thinner plates and it's solved the issues I've been having. I ran 45l washes of CFW, BWKO, NGW last week and it balanced perfectly. Im loving the yealds I'm getting from it now too.
Just about to run a Fine Scotch Whiskey this weekend for the first time so I'm pretty keen to finally taste it.
Now to finally get started on my heavy peated single malts whiskies that I've wanted to make for years!
Cheers guys.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 am

Great to hear you got it sorted out Mormash.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions