Tasting descriptions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Tasting descriptions

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Lads and Lassies,

We need some help with deciding on what we are experiencing when tasting our spirits.

We had a wee taste of our 100% peated AG last night and among the awesome smack in the face of peaty goodness, we noted a strong tingling on the tongue and gums. What would that most likely be?

We get none of that from our 2 gens of NGW, in fact it is as smooth as another’s milk.

Not saying that it is an unpleasant sensation by any account, just curious as to what we are trying to describe.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Tasting descriptions

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Heads I would say. I find is bitey on the tounge..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Ok, could well be. We thought the heads were very short but those smells may have been overpowered by the peate. Will oaking and airing soften that over time? Or will blending be the better bet? Don’t want a bottle full of headaches!
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Airing will work to a point depends how much is in there to how well it cleans up and how long it takes. You should be able to pick if its head by a acetone after taste.Give it plenty time uncovered. I would say put it back through with next lot of peated whiskey but have heard oaked spirit does not taste good at all lots off tastes if re distilled..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Have a snoop in the library section viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8119 some good info on whiskey and oaking may help ya . cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Could be tannins from the oak or could be a bit higher ABV.

Whatever it is, if it doesn't taste bad then I wouldn't be too concerned.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:44 pm

No acetone taste, in fact tastes really nice. Just a tingling. It is only 14 days on oak, so we probably shouldn’t have even been sampling it, but who can wait right???
ThePaterPiper

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Sam. wrote:Could be tannins from the oak or could be a bit higher ABV.

Whatever it is, if it doesn't taste bad then I wouldn't be too concerned.

It has a stick of toasted and a stick of toasted and charred in it, if we were to remove one, would you take the toasted or charred? Don’t want to over oak either. So much to think about.

hillzabilly wrote:Have a snoop in the library section viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8119 some good info on whiskey and oaking may help ya . cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Will have a look Hillzabilly. Thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ThePaterPiper

Postby Dyno » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:01 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:No acetone taste, in fact tastes really nice. Just a tingling. It is only 14 days on oak, so we probably shouldn’t have even been sampling it, but who can wait right???

lol...its hard not too when all that effort has gone into it. If its heads, a good while on oak will clean it up. We barreled a really tailsy brew 12 months back and its come up supreme now. Tasted like shit to start with. We made the junior error of drinking all day while stilling and got way too greedy. Glad we did now as it has a very different character from its predecessor. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Are you sampling at cask strength or are you taking it down to 40%?

If your oaking ratios are ok I wouldn't remove any oak.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Sam. wrote:Are you sampling at cask strength or are you taking it down to 40%?

If your oaking ratios are ok I wouldn't remove any oak.

Well, we watered down, but hard to say actual %. Not quite half and half. It could have been a bit up on abv. Might invest in a refractometer, if that’s the right terminology. We don’t thieve enough to fill the sample jar for the alcoholometer.

Thanks Dyno, if it is heads, it is because of the peate overpowering them. We left the jars to air for three days to give as good a chance to settle as we could. We weren’t worried about being greedy because we are putting the fients in with some wash into the thumper for the next run.
ThePaterPiper

Postby Sparrow » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:02 pm

It could be as simple as unaged whisky at too high an abv for the palate!

Most 40-45% whisky's go down like cordial these days for me, though years ago a 50/50 whisky coke would make me gag. forgot that with my mother in law last weekend and nearly knocked her head off with some straight CFW we'd thrown some apples in for a while haha I thought it was smooth :shifty:
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Could be too Sparrow. I guess time and practice will tell ;-) The interesting part was the sensation. Maybe our idea of the ABV is way off. I haven't felt that tingling on my tongue and gums before. Neither have I had very young home distilled single malt mashed in an esky before! :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

Postby orcy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Refractometer wont help with abv. Useful for sugar only.

I find learning flavours really hard. Need to take a bunch of tasting courses to learn all the different flavours.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 am

I would say its heads as i get this sensation when drinking commercial spirits, i quite enjoy it tho.
Or it could just be me, i get it with port as well.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Stonemaker1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 am

Sparrow wrote:It could be as simple as unaged whisky at too high an abv for the palate!

Most 40-45% whisky's go down like cordial these days for me, though years ago a 50/50 whisky coke would make me gag. forgot that with my mother in law last weekend and nearly knocked her head off with some straight CFW we'd thrown some apples in for a while haha I thought it was smooth :shifty:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I got a mother in law like that......
Stonemaker1

equipment: 50 litre pot still

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 am

orcy wrote:Refractometer wont help with abv. Useful for sugar only.

I find learning flavours really hard. Need to take a bunch of tasting courses to learn all the different flavours.

Ok. Thank you. Sounds like a good excuse to get out and drink more whisky :D
ThePaterPiper

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 am

scythe wrote:I would say its heads as i get this sensation when drinking commercial spirits, i quite enjoy it tho.
Or it could just be me, i get it with port as well.

Interesting you get it with port as well. I had a look at the vids Hillzabilly mentioned. That chap is well into his whisky. “If I ever see you hold your glass like this, I’ll kill you!!” :laughing-rolling:

Also found some interesting stuff on the web. Apparently the alcohol tricks the mucous membranes into thinking the liquid is very hot, so what we are experiencing is our brains warning is not to drink it. Stupid brain!! :angry-banghead: :))
ThePaterPiper

Postby crow » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:25 pm

T'is heid in ya cratur f'sure.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 am

Thenk ye uncoly, crow. Looks like ma haed’l be hurtin’ a wee bit from this dram
ThePaterPiper

Next

Return to Beginners Questions