Calcium carbonate over done.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Calcium carbonate over done.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Wondering if anyone has had flavour from calcium carbonate carry over into spirit? I think i may have over done it. My corn whiskey kind of reminds me of a mint lolly aftettaste. Kind of chalky tootpaste-ish without the mint. Hoping it fades...have used it couple times first time i have noticed it..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Calcium carbonate over done.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:07 pm

That’s surprising if it does carry over, you would think it would stay in solution. But hey, at least you won’t get indigestion from it :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 pm

What kinda calcium carbonate is it?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby db1979 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I seriously doubt that any calcium carbonate will ever carry over into product except from a puke.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Ok then prob My imagination. Just because i know i used it....from feed store.
Paterpiper no heartburn might be a nice bonus :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:13 am

Calcium carbonate calcium carbonate dissolves very little in water i think it reacts with acid could probably change ph that may not be a good thing if over done was looking at it as a calcium supplement in the garden but if does not dissolve was going to be a waste of time .
wynnum1

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Calcium carbonate calcium carbonate dissolves very little in water i think it reacts with acid could probably change ph that may not be a good thing if over done was looking at it as a calcium supplement in the garden but if does not dissolve was going to be a waste of time .

That would be lime, if u want to add calcium carbonate to ur garden :-B
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby db1979 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 pm

wynnum1 wrote:Calcium carbonate calcium carbonate dissolves very little in water i think it reacts with acid could probably change ph that may not be a good thing if over done was looking at it as a calcium supplement in the garden but if does not dissolve was going to be a waste of time .

What happens is the calcium ion stays undissolved (to a degree) and the carbonate ion reacts with acid to produce carbon dioxide and the calcium then becomes a salt of the acid's counter ion, eg if the acid was sulfuric acid then the calcium salt will be calcium sulfate. Nitric acid it will be calcium nitrate.

The point is that it's a storehouse of base that reacts with acid as it's needed. If it was to dissolve then it would be diluted and possibly washed away.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Rush006 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Mate they wouldn't use it in farming unless it dissolves and goes into the soil. farmers use a lot of lime if needed.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Rush006 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 pm

I use calcium carbonate from HBS in my wash if needed to raise the PH. I usually just use less Dunder these days and try to balance to 5.5 to 5.7 as I make the wash.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 am

Rush006 wrote:

Mate they wouldn't use it in farming unless it dissolves and goes into the soil. farmers use a lot of lime if needed.

How long are you going to ferment for calcium carbonate is slow acting.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s4689426.htm

JERRY: Lime and dolomite provide calcium and all plants, including citrus, need some calcium in order to remain healthy and vital, but when you add lime or dolomite to the soil, it converts it from being acid to alkaline - it sweetens the soil - and citrus prefer an acidic soil. I use shell grit that I buy from a produce store. It's normally given to poultry to harden the egg shells. It breaks down very slowly in the soil and over a number of years, it will provide all the calcium citrus need without changing the pH of the soil. So shell girt and citrus - it's a win-win!
wynnum1

Postby Kenster » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Rush, farmers use what the reps tell them works. Look at the fiasco that happened years ago when Super phosphate was 'the go'.. first year, one ton per acre, second year 2 tonnes, and as the time went on, more and more was applied cos it didnt do what it was supposed to and heaps was retained, detrimentally, in the soil. Also with Glyphosate (Roundup) touted as the Farmers Best Friend, supposedly neutralised when in contact with the soil...well that has also been disproven. So if you believe farmers didnt use arsenic as a sheep dip/wash , contaminating so much, well...go figure.
Sorry, not trying to be a jerk, but just sick of finding out shit too late. Big companies usually dont give a rats, just chasing the bucks.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Whats diff between cc and dolomite?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Magnesium basically. Dolomite is CaMg(CO3)2 and Calcium Carbonate is CaCO3 Dolomite is a bit harder and less reactive with acids so takes longer to neutralise them.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Return to Beginners Questions