First Still Build Advice

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First Still Build Advice

Postby BMBOY » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 am

Thanks for all the comments in the Welcome Centre.

I have done a ton of reading, on this forum and others but I keep coming back here.... :smile:

I am considering for my first still, a ccvm 2 inch, I take Kenster's comments re the 3 inch on board but set up cost is important. I am retired, cash is tight but time is plentiful.
I have a 35lt stainless pot fitted with a 2400 watt element, left over from my old brewery stuff. With 25lt of wash would this be a good size for a 2 inch column?
The element would be controlled with a PID and SSR. I have also considered a Boka, I am confident with the build, I was a pipe/fitter welder for many years. Which of these would be easiest for a beginner to run?

Don't hold back if I am being stupid, I realise I have a lot to learn.

Any opinions on the quality of the “unwanted advertiser” products ? Some of their components look good and are available here.

Thanks
Last edited by Doubleuj on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed mention of unwanted advertiser
BMBOY

equipment: Braumeister, no still yet.

Re: First Still Build Advice

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:02 am

If you think those still parts look good wait till you see the ones from 5star.
They are based in QLD and run this forum, cant get anymore aussie than that.

Also if you are going to make a reflux still you had better make a pot still for stripping as well.
2" is cheap yes and it does take time to run but you can save alot of time by stripping first then doing a spirit run with low wines.

Also if you like brown spirits then a pot still will be your friend, and be cheaper than making neutral and back flavouring with essences.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby db1979 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 am

2400 W is way too much for 2" so you'll definitely need it to be controlled. With 25 L of wash a 2" will take at least 2 to 3 hours to get through if you're chasing quality product. As scythe said this can be helped significantly if you strip with a pot still first and then a single spirit run with 40 % low wines in your boiler.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Kenster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I used to run the dreaded T500, if i could get 2 to 3 hrs out of a run i would still be using it (sort of)... a 2'' col will take a lot longer..closer to 5hrs, from memory.
I still, flogging a dead horse, suggest you chase up a local scrappy for some 3''...REALLY worth it.. do it right first time? Even with 3'' (pot mode), running real slow, it can take me 4 hrs or more for a 25 lit wash... really slow that is... but... nice product even on first run.I have oodles of time but sitting around forever waiting for the ABV to drop still drives me nuts.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby db1979 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Sorry, my experience with 2" is with my old bubbler, and I forgot that bubblers run faster than a typical reflux still. Gotta love a bubbler.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

My experience with a 2" boka is, slow. 50ltr run would take me 10 hours or so but was really neutral and 96% all the way. This was single run as well so with a strip run first it might be quicker.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Beginners Questions