Running 4" Plated Column Still as a Pot

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Running 4" Plated Column Still as a Pot

Postby Mormash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Just wondering if there's a best way to configure my plated column to use in pot-mode to strip a heap of low wines?
Is it as simple as keeping it four tee's high, complete with plates and running it on full noise witout any reflux in the dephlag, or would it pay to keep all tee's but take out all four plates and run it as above mentioned?
Seeing as though it's a stripping run I can't see how it matters but I've never done one and don't want to risk accumulating 40l of ag low wines only to find I messed up.

Also, I plan to run the low wines using two plates, so would I keep the four tee's as they are but remove the two bottom plates, leaving me a total of two plates directly under the RC or should I stack just two tee's with plates onto the boiler followed by the RC?
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Re: Running 4" Plated Column Still as a Pot

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:31 pm

I strip with my plates in, run her flat out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just be warned, 40L of 40% low wines is a marathon run, takes me all day and make sure you have 40 or so collection jars
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Mormash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Doubleuj wrote:I strip with my plates in, run her flat out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just be warned, 40L of 40% low wines is a marathon run, takes me all day and make sure you have 40 or so collection jars

Cheers, Doubleuj. I reckon it would take a while for the spirit run. If using just two plates for the spirit run should I continue to aim for an output at 2.5l/h?

Also should I keep the column the same length and leave just two plates at the top or would it be better to shorten the column to just two tee's high?
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby db1979 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Your heat up time will be less with a shorter column. I don't have the luxury of removing anything from my 4 plater when stripping but if I did I would set up my column for the spirit run (plates in) but with no water in the RC and the RC valve fully closed. This will give you the shortest heat up time and allow you to head straight into the spirit run provided you have a drain tap and fill port on your boiler.

I don't have a drain tap or fill port yet. I will one day. :cry:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:07 pm

The slower you run your spirit run the better your product. If you've taken the time to get together 40 L of low wines then why run through it at 2.5 L/h?

You can run your 40 L wash for as long as you have time for and then shut down in the middle of hearts and then come back to it at another time. The good thing about this is that after refluxing for a bit you'll be straight into hearts.

Run it slow and get some fantastic product.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Mormash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:41 pm

db1979 wrote:Your heat up time will be less with a shorter column. I don't have the luxury of removing anything from my 4 plater when stripping but if I did I would set up my column for the spirit run (plates in) but with no water in the RC and the RC valve fully closed. This will give you the shortest heat up time and allow you to head straight into the spirit run provided you have a drain tap and fill port on your boiler.

I don't have a drain tap or fill port yet. I will one day. :cry:

So if I understand you correctly you're recommending I use just two plates for both the stripping runs and the spirit run and keep the water valve closed to the RC throughout the entire process?
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby db1979 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 am

Only close the water valve for your RC for the stripping run. Then run your spirit run through two plates using the RC as you normally would on a spirit run.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 am

db1979 wrote:if I did I would set up my column for the spirit run (plates in) but with no water in the RC and the RC valve fully closed.

I mean that I would set it up for the strip run in the configuration that I wanted for my spirit run so that I wouldn't need to change anything on the column, reducing time between runs.
db1979

Postby scythe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:28 am

2.5L/hr on a spirit run may sound a bit fast but this is about right for a 4"bubbler.
You are playing with 40%ABV liquid that has already been stripped of fores and usually a good chunk of heads so as long as you stack the coloumn properly by holding full reflux for 30mins or so, rip into it.

2.5L/hr for a boka is unheard of unless you have a large diameter column and SPP, pot stills will never give you a clean spirit at this rate unless it is the 3rd or 4th run through the still.

As the angel said to Mary "Do not be afraid."
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:23 am

Why waste time doing 2 runs through a 4 plate bubbler?
The strength of a bubbler is 1 run is all you need
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby db1979 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 am

Depends on what you're after. I make a nice vodka by stripping and then spirit run with 4 plates from a weetbix wash. It's nowhere near as nice without stripping first. I don't have a packed section yet so maybe I would do a single run if I did.

Flavoured washes such as BWKO and lemon vodka are best as single runs through a bubbler. Number of plates changing depending on the wash.

Also, combining multiple stripped washes for a single spirit run can be a lot faster than doing separate single runs through a bubbler especially if you have a lot of wash to get through.
db1979

Postby bluc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 am

Interesting you make a vodka without packed section will have to look into that I dont have headroom for packed section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I’ve done the same with Weetbix, strip 2 x 30lt then spirit run for a tasty vodka but when talking “brown” spirits it’s just a waste of time in my opinion
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Is that the wbab recipe stig?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby db1979 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm

The Stig wrote:I’ve done the same with Weetbix, strip 2 x 30lt then spirit run for a tasty vodka but when talking “brown” spirits it’s just a waste of time in my opinion

Yep, I agree completely.
db1979

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:56 pm

bluc wrote:Is that the wbab recipe stig?

Just the easy weetbix here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=170

db1979 wrote:Yep, I agree completely.

Quick , easy and a real nice vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Mormash » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 pm

db1979 wrote:
The Stig wrote:I’ve done the same with Weetbix, strip 2 x 30lt then spirit run for a tasty vodka but when talking “brown” spirits it’s just a waste of time in my opinion

Yep, I agree completely.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The problem I've got is that i did an all grain using 100% heavy peated as I love Islay single malts but there was very little to no smokiness coming through. I was watching the Doc's documentary on YouTube and he says that when making a whiskey of this style he doesn't like the abv to get over 83% as it strips too much flavour for a brown spirit.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby bluc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Have you thought of running less water to your rc? Less water= less reflux= lower abv?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:25 pm

What Bluc said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Or you could drop 1 of the plates as that will lower the ABV as well
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Mormash » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:49 pm

bluc wrote:Have you thought of running less water to your rc? Less water= less reflux= lower abv?

If I were to do that would I still aim for an output of 2.5l/h meaning that I would need to back off the second element to my boiler? Would that lower the abv but still keep it steady or would it continue to drop like a Pot still?

If im pulling 94-95% abv with four plates what do you think the abv should hold steady using three plates?
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Next

Return to Beginners Questions