Video on making cuts

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Video on making cuts

Postby Mormash » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:25 pm

I came across this channel the other day and although this guy is clearly no expert, he does provide a lot of good information, and his take on making cuts is nothing like what I have read anywhere yet.
It seems to me that most stillers here take the hearts and maybe a couple of jars either side of the hearts as one single chunk of their total collection.
It would be good to get some feedback and opinions from you guys on this method of making cuts as i thought it was interesting.

https://youtu.be/-LxX7UZL4hI
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Re: Video on making cuts

Postby warramungas » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Not bad. Like some of his jar sorting strategies.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby The Stig » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I got bored after 3 mins :laughing-rolling:
I suppose it’s not bad as long as people take it for what it is, a guide not gospel
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Like stig said its ok but just one strategy. I personally strive for no heads/tails but it all depends what you call tails. On all grain peated whiskey i kept all the smokey grainy phenols which ended at 55% and changed to funky wet carboard. On a sugarhead i cut at about 72% 8-}
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:59 pm

warramungas wrote:Like some of his jar sorting strategies.

:text-+1:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Mormash » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:06 pm

bluc wrote:Like stig said its ok but just one strategy. I personally strive for no heads/tails but it all depends what you call tails. On all grain peated whiskey i kept all the smokey grainy phenols which ended at 55% and changed to funky wet carboard. On a sugarhead i cut at about 72% 8-}

I've just been taking the widest single chunk I can get away with which has included late heads to early tails. One batch of BWKO gave me a headache and another batch of NGW tasted slightly too tailsy but I'd never considered doing a longer spirit run and selecting some to add from the deepest of tails. Like you said, with sugarheads its just the hearts you'd want but with AG whiskey its the tails thats gonna make it much more complex and interesting with time.
Now that I'm focusing predominately on all grain I'm now going to lengthen my spirit run and see what type of flavours can come about as I usually start stripping my washes when I hit 93- 92%.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby bluc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 pm

I dont like heads...period and do my best to avoid them, going low abv doesnt mean tails dont get caught up with % with cuts train your palate..if it dont taste bad generally aint . Super grainy flavours in all grain are not tails but it switchs to tails very soon after, you will eventually pick the diff between late run and tails.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby coffe addict » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:23 am

:text-+1: taste smell and feel should be your guide not the numbers. I hardly pay any attention to the alchometre.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Mormash » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:10 am

So if running an all grain wash on a 4 inch bubbler how far would you guys go into the tails considering that with four plates they usually start at around 93.5% ?
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby prawnz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 am

I liked the vid(s) also watched a couple of his others .

What I get from this video is that flavors in this hobby are a personal thing and that there is hope in this even for numptys like me .

Its also obvious from this that even tho the Kiwis are not much good at the important stuff like , cricket , rugby and netball etc , they or their govt anyway are lightyears ahead of us here in recognising the need for allowing small scale home distilling .
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Definitely one of the better vids I have seen on you tube for distilling :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tipsy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Mormash wrote:So if running an all grain wash on a 4 inch bubbler how far would you guys go into the tails considering that with four plates they usually start at around 93.5% ?

You can't expect your still to be like someone elses as here too many variables .
Best you can do is work out how far to go into tails. be aware that once you have gone too far into tails you have made your wash undrinkable.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 pm

:D failure is the best method of learning. And an awesome motivator with expensive all grain..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Dig Brinker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 pm

I always collect down to about 20%, with a bubbler the drop from 90-20 can be a matter of a few hundred mills. When tails hit I usually turn off the RC water flow and start collecting in smaller increments. Maybe 100 mls per jar or even less. You will usually (but not always) get the wet dog smell at the start of tails, but that will go away after a while. You won’t want to add all of the tails to your hearts, but a jar or two may hold that special taste you are looking for.

Anything you don’t keep you can add to your next run.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby pingu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:07 am

So many ways to describe flavor, seriously green banana . I've only got 3 flavors to describe cuts. Good, Bad and oh my god that's disgusting. :teasing-tease:
pingu

equipment: 2" Pot with Shotgun on Keg

Postby EziTasting » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:07 pm

pingu wrote:So many ways to describe flavor, seriously green banana . I've only got 3 flavors to describe cuts. Good, Bad and oh my god that's disgusting. :teasing-tease:

Hahahaha yer, I haven't had the "wet cardboard" smell ever, and only once or twice have I come across the "wet dog" smell (except from my pooch) ... most of my tails are a mix of off-mash smells intertwined with a distinct vomit smell. I don't ever want to put that in my mouth ... :puke-huge: I have NEVER been that drunk before to ever want to try it!!

I am, however, curious of trying to look for this:
Dig Brinker wrote:I always collect down to about 20%, with a bubbler the drop from 90-20 can be a matter of a few hundred mills. When tails hit I usually turn off the RC water flow and start collecting in smaller increments. Maybe 100 mls per jar or even less. You will usually (but not always) get the wet dog smell at the start of tails, but that will go away after a while. You won’t want to add all of the tails to your hearts, but a jar or two may hold that special taste you are looking for.

Anything you don’t keep you can add to your next run.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Return to Beginners Questions