Distilling brewed beer

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Distilling brewed beer

Postby Pist n broke » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Well I have a heap of failed brewed beer... Someone said to run it through a still.... If I do that what is come out and what temp should I run and what alcohol would come out...?
I have a t500
Pist n broke

equipment: T500.... Trying to learn...

Re: Distilling brewed beer

Postby EziTasting » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Are we talking home brew ...?

I did quite a few kegs of commercial beer a while back and, to cope with the qty, we stripped them until we had a keg full of low wines then ran it thru our bubbler as per usual. So, with what little info you've given us, it is hard to give you any advice.

What volume of beer do you have?
What ABV is it?
What went wrong with it?

just for starters... Help us help you - a guide to asking for Advice
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Pist n broke » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Yes home brew... I have about 40 litres.... It tastes ok but carbonation is crap.... Instead of throwing it out someone said to send it through ya still... I have a t500 so wanted to know what to expect and some details what to do... Yes I'm a newbie but keen to learn
Pist n broke

equipment: T500.... Trying to learn...

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Ezi is the man for this question, he’s distilled more beer in his first years than anyone would do in a lifetime, only thing I’ve read about it is that it can leave a bad smell/ taste in your still. Use the search button in the tool bar “search our site” for distilling beer. I know there’s countless posts on the topic. :handgestures-thumbupleft: good luck, hopefully it’s your best drop yet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Do you mean ezi?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Lol, bloody autocorrect, first it was Wiz, then Eli, thank god ive got the magic buttons to fix my mistakes :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Oh the power :-p
Don't mind me I'm drunk. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby EziTasting » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Pist n broke wrote:Yes home brew... I have about 40 litres.... It tastes ok but carbonation is crap.... Instead of throwing it out someone said to send it through ya still... I have a t500 so wanted to know what to expect and some details what to do... Yes I'm a newbie but keen to learn

Hah, nice. Look I’ve never used a T500 but the commercial beer we did we basically stripped in pot-still mode (for the sheer Volume!) followed by a couple of slow spirit runs.

For the set-up of you T500 you’ll have to check the other posts specific to your still, but based on the volume I would strip then spirit run it.

I have found that the hope comes out quite strongly. I don’t like it much, but Bugburner enjoyed it!

We only had US oak (med & drk roast) and, again I preferred the medium (B.B. liked dark)...

Yo will need to clean your still, the hop oils will affect anything you run afterwards! We reran our cleaning spirit, then did the vinegar run followed by another cleaning run, but in the end we had to pull it apart and scrub it! But that was after stripping 30ish kegs...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Return to Beginners Questions