Flavouring/ageing with red ironbark

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Flavouring/ageing with red ironbark

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Manchestershine wrote:I'll do my best not to die and make you look bad, but no promises.

Seriously :shock: this could be your life instantly after half dozen drinks or could it could be long prolonged death from liver or kidney failure.. there can be very serious side effects if this hobby is not treated with respect. Maybe you need to find a different hobby :angry-banghead:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 pm

Think about how these timbers came to be known as toxic. It was because people died or became ill.

We know that oak is safe because there has been countless instances where it hasn't caused harm. There are many other timbers that COULD be used but have either never been tested or the information is not readily available. The old way of finding out was to see if someone kicked the bucket after using it. That might have been acceptable to society a century or two ago but not today.

For me, I'm curious about what other timbers can be used too but I'm willing to control my curiosity and allow my better judgement to keep me away from either being a Guinea pig myself or allow my friends and family to be one.

Like warra said, there is a difference between burning and soaking in ethanol. Burning causes chemical changes, so the actual chemicals entering the food are different than what is in the timber. Soaking in ethanol does not cause changes, rather the chemicals become dissolved.

Further, ethanol is a far better solvent than water for many organic molecules. A toxic chemical that is insoluble in water could be unchanged in the burning process and find its way onto the smoked food item and may remain insoluble in the body, passing through undissolved and not entering the blood. The same chemical dissolved in ethanol is more likely to stay dissolved and enter the blood.

I'm with bluc, this hobby doesn't need more deaths (I refer to south qld, 2013). We need responsible practices and hopefully there may come a time where our hobby is legalised.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Maybe you missed the last sentence in my last post about me not meaning any offence by what I said?? No one is trying to give you a hard time here mate we're just trying to give you sound advice.

It's not me that I'm worried about looking bad it's the hobby stiller in general. We're not like the morons you see on tv some of us give a crap about about this hobby and hope that one day it will be legal so we don't have to hide in the shadows. Do you think it's wise for us to condone drinking spirit that might be tainted with poison? How would that look to an outsider? Would you prefer we told you want you want to hear and ironbark is a great choice and we're envious we don't have some to throw in our booze? How's that gonna make us look if you get crook??

Once again, your choice what you put in your drink.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sparrow » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:47 am

There's a saying I sometimes use when I come across situations and people like this that aren't really asking for advice and who have already made up their mind.

Do what you want, you will anyway.

The only sad part is the ignorance to very real consequences in this instance.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I think this thread has run its course, let’s leave it at that.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Nino » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Sam. wrote:I think this thread has run its course, let’s leave it at that.

:text-+1:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Sam. wrote:I think this thread has run its course, let’s leave it at that.

+12 :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions