Cleaning 220 liter fermenter drum

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Cleaning 220 liter fermenter drum

Postby Vicki55 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Hello everyone, merry xmas and happy new year.

We are finally getting abround to setting up a 220lt fermenter(one of those brown olive barrels), i have read a few posts and following one that suggested to fill the barrel and add a cup of Napisan (I added a cup of Sodium Percarbonate 100%) and then rinse out then add a box of Bicarb leave for a day then hose out.

I have noticed there is an oily film onto of the water, what us the best way to get rid of the oil or will the Sodium percarbonate do that while soaking?
Vicki55

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Cleaning 220 liter fermenter drum

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Yeah napisan takes care of the oil, depending on the amount of oil still in the drum it may need a repeat.
If you have a paint mixer and a drill it'll make it easier for the napisan to break up any oils.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

coffe addict wrote:Yeah napisan takes care of the oil, depending on the amount of oil still in the drum it may need a repeat.
If you have a paint mixer and a drill it'll make it easier for the napisan to break up any oils.

That"s the easy way! You could always grab a scourer and lay the barrel on its side and then scrub by hand while crawling in ... be warned, tho, it seems that when you do, or everytime you do, someone will walk up behind you and "Boop" your back end! :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby andybear » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm

I cleaned mine with hot soapy water ( morning fresh ) and using a soft brush, you will have to really lean in, or attach a handle to the brush. then give it a blast with a high pressure cleaner. This will really get the suds out. It was a strong soapy mix. And finally a rinse with Milton tablets and cold water. I only made up about 10 litres so I rolled it around alot and let it stand in many positions over the week with the lid on.
Milton tablets are baby bottle sterilisers, you can buy them from supermarkets.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 pm

EziTasting wrote:
coffe addict wrote:Yeah napisan takes care of the oil, depending on the amount of oil still in the drum it may need a repeat.

That"s the easy way! You could always grab a scourer and lay the barrel on its side and then scrub by hand while crawling in ... be warned, tho, it seems that when you do, or everytime you do, someone will walk up behind you and "Boop" your back end! :laughing-rolling:

Never clean fermenters with a scourer it will stuff them
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Plastic fermenters can be damaged by scourers and steel wool :handgestures-thumbdown: ,it causes scratch's and stuffs the smooth surface ,makeing it easy for crap to get stuck in them wich could lead ta contaminated brews and losses,and makes future cleaning harder.I found a cheap cobb web brush from bunnings with a long handle good for the 200lt fermenters,mine still had a slight smell of olives for the first brew or two ,but no smell or taste ever carried over to the end product.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:37 pm

And when I am done cleaning it ,I put it upside down on a milk crate with one side partly cut out and spray the hose up inside ta rinse it out,then move it into the shed that way ta dry out.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:02 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Plastic fermenters can be damaged by scourers and steel wool :handgestures-thumbdown: ,it causes scratch's and stuffs the smooth surface ,makeing it easy for crap to get stuck in them wich could lead ta contaminated brews and losses,and makes future cleaning harder.I found a cheap cobb web brush from bunnings with a long handle good for the 200lt fermenters,mine still had a slight smell of olives for the first brew or two ,but no smell or taste ever carried over to the end product.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I use a cobweb broom too. Works brilliantly.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Beginners Questions