Packing material

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Packing material

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 am

I believe crow used to use scoria with better results than ss scrubbers and copper packing but last I heard he achieved even better results with coking coal.
I'm about to start building a packed section too and will start with ss scrubbers and then try scoria to see the difference. If I'm not happy with either then I'll try the copper mesh, I doubt I'll need to though as I think ss scrubbers and scoria both work well.
I've also heard the need for breaking up the scoria to around the size of a pea for best results. As you can imagine that's a long boring jobs that will need lots of rum and patience :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:
So there's a good chance that if I am happy with ss scrubbers then I'll never know if the other materials are better :laughing-rolling:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

Where are people getting their stainless scrubbers from?

I was in Coles yesterday and remembered to look and they only carry single stainless scrubbers at $1 each. I fin it odd they don’t come in multipacks. Maybe it’s just because I live in Albany we get a shit range. Rough calculations, very rough, I think I’ll need about 30 for a 4” 500mm section.

Is this roughly how many others have in their sections?
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby EziTasting » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 am

I think we are loosing sight of the ‘pupose’ of the copper...

IF your still has no copper in the vapor path, then you need to include it in some manner as it is for the sole purpose of Sulide (?Sulfate?) removal, not necessarily for flavour improvement...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

That's true ezi, the amount required is covered by the plates usually.
Bunnings has packs of 10 just avoid any from China.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Kenster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Yeah, the Chinese scrubbers tend to rust... I have been using scoria (1/4 minus, they used t call it... the smallish stuff) for ages now... Bloody cheap, and very effective. Very large and rough surface area per chunk, suppose it does capture of baddies a bit like activated carbon by ADsorbtion?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Coaking coal is interesting to. Back when i very first started when disscussing distilling with friends I had a friend randommly say you know what the secret to vodka is... coal... yep coal makes awesome vodkka. I thought he must have been sippin.. but seems not.. :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby A&O » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I wonder if the stainless scrubbers have a little dip In acetone, to pickle em, if that’ll stop em from rusting.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Decent stainless wont rust ie dont buy chinese $2 packets of 50...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:16 am

I got these ones from Bunnings years ago and they haven’t rusted. They are the ones recommended by Mac and many others in other threads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Nino » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 am

Doubleuj wrote:I got these ones from Bunnings years ago and they haven’t rusted. They are the ones recommended by Mac and many others in other threads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: I have had mine for a couple of years now and have used them at least 5 times since I got them. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:32 am

Nino wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:I got these ones from Bunnings years ago and they haven’t rusted. They are the ones recommended by Mac and many others in other threads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: I have had mine for a couple of years now and have used them at least 5 times since I got them. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: :text-+1: I’ve pulled one of these apart and pulled the individual threads into the RC tubes to add extra surface cooling area. Made a huge difference in knock-down power!

Ours are now nearly 2 years old and clean as a whistle! Bought the first lot from China and the lasted 1 run because the next one was dirty with rust!!! :puke-huge:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions