Water recirculating system... what pump

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Water recirculating system... what pump

Postby Pist n broke » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:38 pm

Want to make a simple water recirculating system... trying to find out what size pump I need... was told by brew shop I need a pump that is 3 head lift pump.... seems high... anyone got ideas?? Doing a run tomorrow... can go to Bunnings before I start
Pist n broke

equipment: T500.... Trying to learn...

Re: Water recirculating system... what pump

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Ozito 700w in a 200l drum or ibc is possible looks like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-750w-dirty-water-submersible-water-pump_p4816360
Personally I have an aquarium pump hailea about 1700l/h but have a felling I need to upgrade..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:38 pm

Pist n broke wrote:Want to make a simple water recirculating system... trying to find out what size pump I need... was told by brew shop I need a pump that is 3 head lift pump.... seems high... anyone got ideas?? Doing a run tomorrow... can go to Bunnings before I start

Depends on the water source and distance to your still, also depends on the rise from water source to still.
I use the bunnings Ozito pump Bluc links to it and gives me plenty of head room
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 am

If the drum is higher than the still, you need very little head rating
I saw someone in a post using a pump from one of those kmart blow up ring top pools, head slap, I have one from last Christmas - the pools can last 2 summers, but at $50 who cares
It barely manages 10 cm of head, but the flow rate is plenty for a small still if you keep the source above the highest watered section of your rig. Most of the output of mine is bypassed
It's rated at a massive 16 watts
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby gad » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:36 pm

I also use this submersible pump with a 240L wheelie bin to pump the cooling water back into one of my 1000l IBC Bulk containers that catch rain water off my shed.
(Having trouble with photo so will leave it out)
Last edited by gad on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby Fishleg » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:39 pm

The Stig wrote:
Pist n broke wrote:Want to make a simple water recirculating system... trying to find out what size pump I need... was told by brew shop I need a pump that is 3 head lift pump.... seems high... anyone got ideas?? Doing a run tomorrow... can go to Bunnings before I start

Depends on the water source and distance to your still, also depends on the rise from water source to still.
I use the bunnings Ozito pump Bluc links to it and gives me plenty of head room

:text-+1: I have one of these. For around $80 it kicks arse
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby db1979 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:57 pm

It can also depend on your cooling water lines. If they are long and narrow then you'll lose pressure.

I use a $50 bunnings pond pump with 19 mm clear pvc tubing. The tubing is nice and wide and I can also see what my cooling water is doing without having a flow meter. Water coming out of the condensers has bubbles of air in it from the higher temp and the speed the bubbles flow at tells you about your flow. Also I do strip runs with the RC empty of cooling water and the RC tap completely off, if I didn't have the tap all the way off my clear cooling lines would let me know. Another advantage is that I can make the lines just the right length to reduce the pressure drop on the pump. It also means they take up less space when it's all set up and when it's stored.

The pump is rated at 1.75 m head, 1400 L/hr and 24 W.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:00 pm

I originally set my bubbler up with stainless braided lines but found the pump lost too much pressure.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby pat_00 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am

Has anybody run into problems with submersible pumps getting too hot?
pat_00

equipment: DIY 2" modular CCVM/Boka/Pot

Postby Sam. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:36 am

pat_00 wrote:Has anybody run into problems with submersible pumps getting too hot?

I have run one for up to 12 hours before and it's been fine.

That has been with cooling water below 30 degrees :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am

In my mini hydroponic garden I run a small submersible pump that runs daylight hours, so this time of year about 14 hours. It cost me all of $2 from China (with free postage) 3 years ago. It was supposed to be just proof of concept but the little champ hasn’t missed a beat. Even sitting in a silk bed and has all the crap in the world through it. Even when I clean the resiviour once a year, when I take the pump out it’s never hot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby db1979 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm

pat_00 wrote:Has anybody run into problems with submersible pumps getting too hot?

Because they are submerged they will only get hot if the water they are in gets hot. Before I had my radiator up and running I did a stripping run with 4000 W and only my 20 L of cooling water which I had planned to replace periodically through the run. Well I forgot to do this and the water temp got up to 55 degrees before I remembered. After that I kept on top of the temp and it was fine. My pump says not to run it above 35 but it's still kicking on just as good as it did when I bought it.
db1979

Return to Beginners Questions