To cut or not to cut

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: To cut or not to cut

Postby woodduck » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:19 pm

RC Al wrote:
try doing cuts on turbo with a smaller still
jar 1 metho smell and taste
jar 2 metho smell and taste
jar 3 metho smell and taste
jar 4 metho smell and taste
etc :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

You should try the wbab or cfw at least then any flavour that does get through is a nice grainy one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 pm

:text-+1:

WBAB makes a great vodka.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Another reason I do cuts is so that there is never more than a couple of liters of product close to the still boiler,for safety in case a fire breaks out or heaven forbid ya drop a full 5liter demi,even more so ifn ya using gas ta heat ya boiler which makes the chance of fire greater.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Otago Elvis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Another reason I do cuts is so that there is never more than a couple of liters of product close to the still boiler,for safety in case a fire breaks out or heaven forbid ya drop a full 5liter demi,even more so ifn ya using gas ta heat ya boiler which makes the chance of fire greater.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Amen that.
Otago Elvis

equipment: Potstill

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:12 am

Had a discussion with a bloke on fb about re running wash he always runs at 50 % its amazing how many said i have read that as well
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby A&O » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Had a discussion with a bloke on fb about re running wash he always runs at 50 % its amazing how many said i have read that as well

No wonder distilling spirit is illegal here when there are turkeys out there like this. I bet the same people drink their spirit straight from the still not watered down too.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby Minpac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Definitely cut!

Sam, did you ever post my contribution to last year's competition somewhere outside the donor forum? I put a bit of research into it- PM me if it needs any revision.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:34 pm

A&O wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Had a discussion with a bloke on fb about re running wash he always runs at 50 % its amazing how many said i have read that as well

No wonder distilling spirit is illegal here when there are turkeys out there like this. I bet the same people drink their spirit straight from the still not watered down too.

Yep always a few that fuck it for everyone. Just makes no sence why would you not do cuts :angry-banghead: there is zero reason to not do cuts....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Minpac wrote:Definitely cut!

Sam, did you ever post my contribution to last year's competition somewhere outside the donor forum? I put a bit of research into it- PM me if it needs any revision.

I did have a quick look for it the other day as this reminded me but didn’t see it, I will have a better look when I get a chance, I think there were a few good posts that should be moved to the newbie corner :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:05 pm

bluc wrote:
A&O wrote:

Yep always a few that fuck it for everyone. Just makes no sence why would you not do cuts :angry-banghead: there is zero reason to not do cuts....

Amazingly, Commercial Distillers do the same, make cuts, before they barrel it and later bottle it for human consumption! Of corse, @ 50% and without cuts, you are much smarter than the commercials! What would they know?!?!?! You make soon much more betterer grog and people should listen to you!

Sarcasm fully and whole heartedly intended! :violence-stickwhack:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby warramungas » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 am

Had a discussion on facebook? Your first mistake.
Do cuts as recommended by anyone experienced here. Anyone who says otherwise is someone you should take any advice from with a massive handful of salt.

I don't think facebook has actually brought about the downfall of society but I think its having a red hot crack at it.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Lambsy42 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi all, first time poster....
Making cuts is treated like a bit of a black art, but it shouldn't be, some products like whisky theoretically it is potentially possible to get away with little to no cuts but why take the risk? Most importantly any product that uses sugar or fruit has to be cut, this basically comes down to methanol within your ferment which boils off at lower temperatures, hence coming through first, methanol is a poison and it can kill or blind you, do not take risks always cut, better waste a few mils than loosing your eyesight or dying.
I always cut 300-500mls from my runs (50 litre runs) to take no risks and as many of you have pointed out it tastes like shit anyway :-D
Lambsy42

equipment: 50 litre keg 2 x 2400watt elements,
4 x copper "T" pieces with windows and bubblers.

Postby bluc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Its not only methanol its acetone aldehydes and tails/fussel oils along with other compounds, that shit nobody should drink. I wouldnt make any alcohol from anything without doing cuts. And I wouldnt count on filtration to remove it either :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:44 am

Lambsy42 wrote:Hi all, first time poster....

Hi lambsy how about posting a thread in the welcome centre to introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:52 am

Lambsy42 wrote:Hi all, first time poster....
Making cuts is treated like a bit of a black art, but it shouldn't be, some products like whisky theoretically it is potentially possible to get away with little to no cuts but why take the risk? Most importantly any product that uses sugar or fruit has to be cut, this basically comes down to methanol within your ferment which boils off at lower temperatures, hence coming through first, methanol is a poison and it can kill or blind you, do not take risks always cut, better waste a few mils than loosing your eyesight or dying.
I always cut 300-500mls from my runs (50 litre runs) to take no risks and as many of you have pointed out it tastes like shit anyway :-D

How about an intro in the welcome center mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also what’s your reference that sugar washes will produce any significant amount of methanol compared to a fruit base wash?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Lambsy42 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi Sam intro done, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I believe that Fruits have more fructose in them which leads to the higher amount of methanol
Whilst not 100% that this is the cause they definitely do have a higher concetration.
Lambsy42

equipment: 50 litre keg 2 x 2400watt elements,
4 x copper "T" pieces with windows and bubblers.

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Lambsy42 wrote:Hi Sam intro done, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I believe that Fruits have more fructose in them which leads to the higher amount of methanol
Whilst not 100% that this is the cause they definitely do have a higher concetration.

Fruits have pectin in them, sugar does not ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Astro » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Yep, to many experts on that page :violin:
Last edited by Astro on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Astro wrote:Yep, to many experts on that page :violin:

And that is supposed to mean what exactly?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 pm

:text-+1: there is zero reasons to not cut...you aint throwing away alcohol you are throwing away the shite that no one should be drinking..
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions