Making new parrot with tap need advie

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Making new parrot with tap need advie

Postby davesims » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi all i am looking to make anew parrot an incorporating a ball valve at the bottom and need a little guidance please

The parrot will be connecting to my 2" 5 start pot column's outlet via a 3/4" ferrule, at the bottom of the Parrot where a stand would normally be i am wanting to add a 1/2" ball valve but have come across an issue, I will be using 25.. copper tube as the main body and reducing at the bottom into 1/2" tee which the inlet will be added but the bottom part of the tee is for the ball valve.

I thought i might have been able to get a copper 1/2" to 1/2" thread and just screw the ball valve on but they only seem to have that fitting in brass

What would be the best way to add the ball valve to the parrot?
davesims

equipment: T500 copper and the usual noobie bits and pieces

Re: Making new parrot with tap need advie

Postby bluc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Should be able to get stainless fitting. If not add a ferrule and get a ball valve with a ferrule fitting..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 pm

G-day mate ,I think you could use a smaller valve a 1/4inch will do very well and be smaller,have a look at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11641 you are after the same thing ,just get one ta suit the valve size ya need.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby davesims » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

bluc wrote:Should be able to get stainless fitting. If not add a ferrule and get a ball valve with a ferrule fitting..

Ah i get you, will have a look around

Cheers man
davesims

Postby davesims » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm

hillzabilly wrote:G-day mate ,I think you could use a smaller valve a 1/4inch will do very well and be smaller,have a look at http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11641 you are after the same thing ,just get one ta suit the valve size ya need.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks hillbilly

Do you have a blown up version of that still design?
davesims

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 pm

No sorry I do not,with my bros still,I welded a 1/4 inch male plug(after drilling a hole thru) to a 3/4inch ferrule and fitted it to the FSD parrot we got worked well and was a fair bit shorter than a 1/2inch valve.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm

One of these tiged to one of the 3/4 inch ferrule,may be a bit hard ta see in the other pic.cheers hillzabilly :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

Postby Professor Green » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:41 am

What about a stainless steel compression fitting? Assuming you can get one the size you need. Mac uses them on his bokas to fit the output pipe to the needle valve. It just screws into the valve at one end and compresses on to the pipe at the other.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby scythe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 am

Compression fittings can work.
Beauty is that 3/4" ferrules have a leg OD of 3/4" so getting a 3/4" compression fitting in stainless is easy.
And as long as you dont keep disconnecting and reconnecting it they don't leak.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby coffe addict » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:49 am

I just soldered the tap into the bottom of the 1in main body of the parrot. A half in tap is a close fit to the 1in pipe. stainless to copper soldering is a little tricky but with the right flux isn't too hard.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Return to Beginners Questions