Basic understanding of plate stills

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Basic understanding of plate stills

Postby Rolls912 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Okay so I’ve been faffing around with the T500 for a year now making gin and I’m getting itchy feet.
I can’t stop looking at the plated column still section. Some impresssive hardware.
Ive hunted around but haven’t really found a post that clearly explains:
- how they work (bubblers)
- why are they better than a T500 (seriously)
- how to run them (I’ve read macstill’s but is there a more detailed version)
- what’s the percentage output?
- do the runs come out quicker (appears so). One thing that’s a killer for the T500 is the time it takes when making neutral
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Re: Basic understanding of plate stills

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:19 am

Have ya read viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117 may answer some of ya questions.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby RC Al » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 am

You won't get much of a better description of running a still because they are all a bit different and the variables are many. The advice of just get in there and run it, is the best

The analogy of driving a car is fantastic, no manual will tell you to apply x Newton meters of torque to the steering wheel to turn a corner

An experienced driver can jump in to a car and pretty quickly work out the quirks of that particular vehicle. A learner driver has to do the hours to work things out, you have obviously done some hours, so you'll be fine when you get one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby coffe addict » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm

As above, but here's my take.
2.5L an hour coming out around 90% one run and into an aging barrel. That's brown spirit.
I'm still working on my whites. Everyone seams happy enough with their 5plates and 500mm packed section.
I've run 5plates and 690mm packed and doing a stripping run and unimpressed with the result.
So I'm on the fence with neutral and may build a 2in purpose built neutral still but for browns they are another world.
They work by forcing the vapour through the fluid on each shelf the result is a good flavour retention and high purity product considerably fast than a pot still.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 pm

The moment I place wash into the boiler I turn the gas on then add the all the wash in then wait for like an hour or so for the first fogging of the lower plate. Feeling the column another 1/2 an hour takes place then another 1/2 an hour until the first drip then it's on. Fill the 200ml fores glass then back into refux for 1/2 an hour then a tweak on the needle valve gets rid of the heads. Put it back into reflux for a tad longer then adjust the needle valve to give a pic stream output which should stay for the run.

Being present is paramount as things can change very quickly and one must be aware of the running still.

This is the best advise I can give but take it with a drop of water

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Rolls912 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Bryan1 wrote:The moment I place wash into the boiler I turn the gas on then add the all the wash in then wait for like an hour or so for the first fogging of the lower plate. Feeling the column another 1/2 an hour takes place then another 1/2 an hour until the first drip then it's on. Fill the 200ml fores glass then back into refux for 1/2 an hour then a tweak on the needle valve gets rid of the heads. Put it back into reflux for a tad longer then adjust the needle valve to give a pic stream output which should stay for the run.

Being present is paramount as things can change very quickly and one must be aware of the running still.

This is the best advise I can give but take it with a drop of water

Cheers Bryan

Do I use this still to make super pure alcohol? Will it output 94%?
Then do a flavouring run in the same still? Does it extract more flavour?
I guess I’m still trying to understand the benefits of making the move from a T5....
I think I might start a new thread in the reflux section.
Thanks again for the advice :tools-hammerdrill:
Last edited by Rolls912 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 pm

A 4" bubbler on avarage (as they are all different) should pull 90-93% alc at 2-2.5lph with good flavour carry over in a single run with 3-5 plates and 95-96% at 2-2.5lph with 4-6 plates and 500mm of packed section.

To get your head around it the best you are best off spending some time in the plated colomn build section and see what peoples results have been from their particular builds. All bubblers are different and to understand them well you need to absorb as much info on them as possible. When I first looked into building one I spent weeks reading and researching. By the time I was ready to build I felt I had a real good understanding of them and was quite comfortable when it came time to run it.

If you simply want to know what is better about a bubbler over a t500, well personally I think pretty much every thing. Faster, flavour carry over, looks, single runs, versitile, modular, no plastic bits..... the list goes on. I wouldn't use anything else now I've used a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 pm

woodduck wrote:To get your head around it the best you are best off spending some time in the plated colomn build section and see what peoples results have been from their particular builds. All bubblers are different and to understand them well you need to absorb as much info on them as possible. When I first looked into building one I spent weeks reading and researching. By the time I was ready to build I felt I had a real good understanding of them and was quite comfortable when it came time to run it.

This is spot on.

Short of a documentary or animations, you've just gotta get in and read heaps. It starts making sense eventually.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby The Stig » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:12 am

Rolls912 wrote:I guess I’m still trying to understand the benefits of making the move from a T5....
Thanks again for the advice :tools-hammerdrill:

Put simply - T500 = no flavour
...............- Bubbler = lots of flavour

Rolls912 wrote:I think I might start a new thread in the reflux section.

Why, your talking about plated column
Last edited by The Stig on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby YarraRanges » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm

coffe addict wrote:As above, but here's my take...
I've run 5plates and 690mm packed and doing a stripping run and unimpressed with the result...

Stripping runs are best done in a pot still. You'll have difficulty with a bubbler unless you remove all plates, packing and the reflux condenser.
I do 200 litre ferments which works out to four stripping runs which give a total of about 45 litres of strip at around 45-50% ABV. No cuts, just go down to about 20% where I kill the strip.
The result gives just enough for the 50 litre boiler on the bubbler.
Once the plates are full it's full reflux for half an hour to compress the fores. I take off about 3 litres before it comes clean and then I take off product which is about 22-23 litres at 90%ABV. I kill the run when it drops to 85% ABV. Tails start to come in below that and there is hardly any ethanol left in the boiler to worry about doing cuts. When diluted down to 40% drinking strength you have a very smooth neutral. It makes a great base for a gin too.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby coffe addict » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 pm

It's not my first rodeo Yarra! I easily could have configured a simple pot but stripping through five plates gives a noticeably cleaner product @92%. This was watered down to 40% and still wasn't clean enough after a slow run through 5plates and a packed section, it was just passable.
I was attempting to get complete neutral not just kinda neutral ish.
I'll be changing out the ss scrubbies for scoria and building another packed section and running with 1.35m packed which should yield better results and quicker I hope.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby db1979 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Stripping runs are best done in a pot still. You'll have difficulty with a bubbler unless you remove all plates, packing and the reflux condenser.

Stripping is easy enough in a bubbler, no need to remove plates or RC, just empty RC of water and turn off flow.
There will be more passive reflux with a bubbler in a stripping run than with a pot still but passive reflux occurs in all stills to some degree. Obviously the more plates you use on a stripping run the more passive reflux you'll get.

Yarra, if you've tried doing a strip with all 14 of your plates then you'll have a different experience than I will with my 4 plates. Most people with bubblers have a maximum of 5 plates so passive reflux isn't so bad and stripping runs in a bubbler are easy and effective. Some prefer to not strip and just use an extra plate. I haven't tried this as my plates are soldered in and I much prefer the product from a strip followed by a spirit run, so unless I make an extra modular plate, I'll continue doing it that way.
Last edited by db1979 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Amberale » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Quick questionS folks.
If I strip in a Neutraliser with 5 plates but no packed section.(I can break it down to 4 plates if necessary)

Q1, no cooling flow through the RC?
Q2, what rate of product flow should I expect(using one 2400w element in a 50 ltr milk can)?

On previous “stripping runs” I have used water through the RC to keep the output to 2-2.5 ltr/hr.

Thanks AA
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 am

For the stripping run you will not need to use the RC and you can run as hard and fast as your PC can handle. The idea is to remove some of the initial unwanted compounds and bump the ABV up for a more efficient spirit run. That being said, a slower stripping run with reflux would be like doing a double spirit run so the results will probably be better but I don’t think you would notice it to be honest. A fast stripping run followed by a slow spirit run on 4 plates with a 500mm packed section has always delivered excellent results for me.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Amberale » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks Prof.
What sort of product flow rate do you get on the strip?
I’m on the wagon at the moment ( :scared-eek: ) so I’ve got a bit of time to play with quality control.
Amberale

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Are you stripping for a neutral or a brown spirit? I wouldn't strip for brown spirits, that's the beauty of the bubblers. Hell I don't even strip for neutral. I do run 6 plates and 500mm packed section and I admittedly don't drink it as vodka.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Amberale » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi Woody.
Just neutral from Freddy’s vfvw.
I usually add HBS Jameson or blue saphire cordials.
Some of my hearts are just laid down with oak chips.
I figure I might as well play around for some really clean gin base then I can talk myself into a carter head.

I’ve got a 3d gen rum to run on 4 plates when I get through the neutrals, then clean it up and start over. :)
Amberale

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:07 pm

All good mate, enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Professor Green » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 pm

I can’t remember what sort of output rate I get, I’m currently at Shanghai airport waiting for a flight home so don’t have access to my records but I run 2 x 2400W elements and I generally strip 2 90 litre charges in one day.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Amberale » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks Proff.
I should be able to smash a couple of 45ltr runs easily then. :dance:
Amberale

Next