Clearing agent before distilling

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Clearing agent before distilling

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Bentonite at work notice difference from top to bottom. This is after 5ish hours
Resized_20150517_162808.jpeg

What it looked like when I racked it off. The back middle bottle. Front two are banana wine. Did I mention I Hate wine :puke-huge:
Resized_20150511_154538.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm

From memory it was a dextrose wash + turbo yeast. And Mixed with ginger beer syrup from soda stream :puke-huge:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 pm

After 3 days after fermentation has finished and 48 hours after racking and fining:

IMG_20180419_215247.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Bundaboy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Goobers in the wash!
At first I thought that the gelatine had coalesced but then I realised this is the turbo clear version - no wonder it hasn't cleared.
I am assuming that the turbo clear was out of date - I had had it a longish while.
I doubt that this is harmful, I'll scoop it out and bentonite the bastard.

It's not a good look though is it?

(PS am I hijacking this thread or is it relevant?)
Bundaboy

Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Bundaboy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 am

This is the smaller sample that had added glycerine and stuck in the fridge, after taking out of the fridge and the chill haze clearing it is the type of "clearness" I am looking for:

(This is just prior to adding the bentonite and given a good shake)
Bundaboy

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 am

How does Diatomaceous Earth work for filtering.
wynnum1

Postby warramungas » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm not sure. Is bentonite classifies as a flocculent?
I would have thought all the sharp edges on it would prevent it binding up with floaties?

Edit: I presume you mean adding it to a wash and not using it like a packed filter you run your wash through.
Last edited by warramungas on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Is best floculant I tried stopped testing once I used it. Apparently when wet it gets an electrical charge and it binds with the stuff in wash then falls from suspension. If not happy with results stir it back up and let it clear again.
Yes adding it to a wash not as a filter medium. Can be added during fermentation or after.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Bundaboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm

bluc wrote:Is best floculant I tried stopped testing once I used it. Apparently when wet it gets an electrical charge and it binds with the stuff in wash then falls from suspension. If not happy with results stir it back up and let it clear again.
Yes adding it to a wash not as a filter medium. Can be added during fermentation or after.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It hasn't worked for me unfortunately, have you ever used it in a sugar wash?
Bundaboy

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes that is what mine was turbo sugar wash. Weird no idea why it wouldnt work. How much you use and did you rehydrate it first?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Bundaboy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm

bluc wrote:Yes that is what mine was turbo sugar wash. Weird no idea why it wouldnt work. How much you use and did you rehydrate it first?

Followed the instructions on the packet 12 gms per 20L, rehydrated for 4 hours, stirring every hour.
Second test rehydrated over night, stirred twice.

Have just shaken up the first (as you advise) for a second run.
Bundaboy

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Weird only thing that worked for me was bentonite....
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Bundaboy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 pm

After around 14 hours of cold (freeze) crashing, the picture does not do it justice as the "trub" is out of focus, in real life it is clear as a bell. Sadly this seems to be the only method that works for me.

I think I will invest in a freezer chest as when you are as far away from a supermarket as I am it has a myriad of uses. I have resisted thus far mainly because I don't like meat that has been frozen.

BTW The second run of the bentonite did not clear at all. I am very disappointed with that.
Bundaboy

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:24 am

I personally think you are going a bit hard with the clarifying.

As long as the majority of the yeast and what ever other particles you have added has settled on the bottom and you siphon off the top that is more than enough.

If your making whisky and rum it can be argued it's better to have this go into the boiler.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 am

Sam. wrote:I personally think you are going a bit hard with the clarifying.

As long as the majority of the yeast and what ever other particles you have added has settled on the bottom and you siphon off the top that is more than enough.

If your making whisky and rum it can be argued it's better to have this go into the boiler.

Yes, if I was making a dark spirit that would definitely be the case, although then I would be using a pot still too.

I am making a neutral (Ted's FFV) and have noticed that the clearer I can get it the shorter the tails seem to be, in addition I am hoping to have less stuff building up on the elements.

I should reiterate that I am not after perfect clarity but I don't want totally opaque either and that's what I have at the moment.

This is a shot of what it looks like after > 2 weeks after fermentation and racking:
download/file.php?id=19650&mode=view

(actually this from a previous wash, the latest is even more opaque for some reason.

This is what Ted's looks like after 24 hours
download/file.php?id=19649&mode=view

...and I generally go on what's good for Ted is good for me.
Bundaboy

Postby Stevejb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:06 am

Having read through this thread I thought I'd give Benontite a go on a sugar wash. I re-hydrated 12 grams for four hours, stirring it every now and then and stirred it into the mash yesterday. I just had a look at it and wow! Clear. I'm very impressed.
Stevejb

equipment: Keggomax reflux still
T500 boiler

Postby Bundaboy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 am

Stevejb wrote:Having read through this thread I thought I'd give Benontite a go on a sugar wash. I re-hydrated 12 grams for four hours, stirring it every now and then and stirred it into the mash yesterday. I just had a look at it and wow! Clear. I'm very impressed.

You depress me! :-( What the hell could I be doing wrong then? What yeast are you using?
Bundaboy

Postby Stevejb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:29 am

I'm just using Lowans yeast. I do aerate the wash with a dual aquarium pump and air stones for around 2 hours before adding it. BTW, how do you quote someone's post in here?
Stevejb

T500 boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 am

Stevejb wrote:I'm just using Lowans yeast. I do aerate the wash with a dual aquarium pump and air stones for around 2 hours before adding it. BTW, how do you quote someone's post in here?

See the little button marked “quote” above each post?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Stevejb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 am

Doubleuj wrote:
Stevejb wrote:I'm just using Lowans yeast. I do aerate the wash with a dual aquarium pump and air stones for around 2 hours before adding it. BTW, how do you quote someone's post in here?

See the little button marked “quote” above each post?

D'oh!
Stevejb

T500 boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions