Grain flavour

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Grain flavour

Postby Minijcw » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:47 pm

I have been practicing grain conversion with my bwko wash after some success i have decided to try a grain whiskey wash.

Method used will be BIAB, because i still cant get my head around a big corn and rye wash.

Grains i have chosen for a 21L wash.

Pilsner malt 5kg
Special b 600g
Amber malt. 1.5kg

Aiming for a 1.070 gravity potential 7% abv wash.

I have spent time looking up grain flavours and i like the thought of the caramel and biscuit profile mentioned for special b and amber malts.

Question is does the caramel and biscuit flavours come over the pot still well and are they easily found in end product.
I will be stripping and then spirit run.

Cheers
Minijcw

equipment: 4inch 5 star pot still on a keg. Copperhead pot still

Re: Grain flavour

Postby EziTasting » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Minijcw wrote:...
Question is does the caramel and biscuit flavours come over the pot still well and are they easily found in end product.
I will be stripping and then spirit run.

Cheers

Pot stills bring the flavour over best (until you get a Bubbler), but you'll have to do a strip and a spirit run with cuts! When your cuts have had the opportunity to 'breathe' for 24/48 hours... the end product (the jars you select) will determine the final flavour, plus, of course, aging on oak.

Check these out:
a basic guide to stripping runs, and
Kiwis guide to cuts.

Learn them! Print them! Commit them to memory! They are your operational foundation!

Good luck.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Minijcw » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Thank you for the references.
I have been reading the cuts guide every time i do a brew it is book marked along with my other wash calculators. An extremely useful guide.
Minijcw

equipment: 4inch 5 star pot still on a keg. Copperhead pot still

Postby EziTasting » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Minijcw wrote:Thank you for the references.
I have been reading the cuts guide every time i do a brew it is book marked along with my other wash calculators. An extremely useful guide.

Mate, I'm still reading it and rereading it... in fact I spend a lot of time in the Newbie section - mainly because I don't think I have it all together yet. Even tho I'm practicing AG mashes with purely Barley so I can get a better feeling for it before I find something else to master!

Keep on going, don't follow my example by jumping from one mash/wash to the next and not getting each one nailed down first...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby tipsy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:49 pm

I reckon go for it.
I first thought that was way too much special B but after putting it through Beersmith I think it will be good.

Please report back in 6 months :-D
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Return to Beginners Questions