What still to buy?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: What still to buy?

Postby the Doctor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I think that a 5 star neutralizer with a carter head is a dream set up... it can be re configured so many ways ... and is capable of making sensational spirits... we have had a relationship with 5 star for years ...they are a solid company with top gear...how good... we we just won the Double gold medal for London dry gin at San Francisco using a 5 Star still and carter head...so the sky is the limit... I used to be a hobby distiller, having access to a still of this quality opened doors to spirit's of a quality that are as good as anything on the market..highly recommended.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:40 pm

the Doctor wrote:I think that a 5 star neutralizer with a carter head is a dream set up... it can be re configured so many ways ... and is capable of making sensational spirits... we have had a relationship with 5 star for years ...they are a solid company with top gear...how good... we we just won the Double gold medal for London dry gin at San Francisco using a 5 Star still and carter head...so the sky is the limit... I used to be a hobby distiller, having access to a still of this quality opened doors to spirit's of a quality that are as good as anything on the market..highly recommended.
Doc

:text-+1: If you cant buy the whole thing at once, start with the modular pot and add to it, that's what I did. You will never here a bad thing said about FSD gear. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Lowie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:35 pm

EziTasting wrote:
bluc wrote:Is muslin cloth ok in vapour path :-B

I think you'll find it illegal to hang Muslims in general! Let alone in an illegal still set-up in an environment where alcohol replaces Oxygen ... I have been known to be wrong! :law-policered: :wtf: :naughty: :think:

:laughing-rolling: :)) :D :romance-kisscheek:

Gold...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi - after year wi the FSD blockhead 4 plate , I have to say it’s very good gear. I make brown but mostly Gin. 50 l is a good kettle size as it’s 4-5 hours at 2-2.5 l per hour takeoff than 8 or 10 hours.

I se 60 l fermenters and make 45-50 l washes to suit the kettle.

Mine is a FSD milk can with 2 x 2.4 kw elements ,works fine with simple
MCStills suggested operating.

No carter head but just a simple botanical cage section.

I’ve just added a 5th plate sight glass to make a better one pass brown product.

I use town water and soak the lawn shrubs etc so the plants love it.

A wise man said here once” a dollar spent on anything but FSD gear is a dollar wasted”

I have under 3k invested inc the $600 circuit wiring to handle the 4.8kws. At startup.

It’s a great hobby, I love experimenting and it’s low cost using various sugar washes.

Made latest gin with Forrest berry , lemon myrtle, Anise myrtle, pepperberry on a Juniper , base with some others and it’s nice.
Even made a Hawthorn syrup using Wild Hawthorns and Neutral.

Still use Blond Chaps base recipe which is a Bombay Sapphire clonish Gin.

Enjoy and let us know how you go.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions