Strip run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Strip run

Postby Adder5 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi all
So armed with knowledge from this site, I thought I had done my second run right and I could avoid asking for help.
I had 50 litres of wash. Just home from 5 weeks at work and I jumped in to it with gusto, went out and bought 24 of those jar glasses with lids and straws ( if distilling fails at least I still got glasses) brewed off 5litres at 200ml cuts with the first 25 litres. Just getting near the end, then remembered that was meant to be my strip run. Bugger
Having said that at 94% glass 8 just has a very mild sweet smell.
So left them to one side and put on my second 25litres
I took 5 litres off that.
My questions are
From a 25ltr wash how much should I be taking on strip run.

With doing a second run with the 10ltres I have at 94 % do I fill it up to the 25ltr level with water and how much would I try and take from this.
Just 5 litres ?
Or would I do the 2 5 litres runs seperate ( that could be my dum question, as I am already thinking why would I)

Thanks for any help
Adder5

equipment: 25 lt Reflux

Re: Strip run

Postby TasSpirits » Sun May 06, 2018 3:39 pm

How much you take will depend on the wash. Combine both strip runs water down to 40% max, then do a nice slow spirit run, 200ml cuts are good for that size still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby bluc » Sun May 06, 2018 3:47 pm

What sort of reflux still have you got? Not a t500 hopefully cause it has plastic bits and will melt if run to hard :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Sun May 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi Adder,

As Tas said, how much you collect on a stripping run depends on the wash, the efficiency of the still, and how deep into the tails you want your strip run to go. Most folks collect down to 20% (at the parrot) or so as after that it's not worth the time and power.

You can calculate roughly how much you're going to collect if you know the ABV of your wash. Lets say it was 10% which is pretty standard for a sugar wash:
So, 25 litres of wash @ 10% ABV contains 2.5 litres of alcohol.
If your still collects at 94%, then in theory, the most you can collect is 2.65 litres of liquid @ 94% ABV. In reality though the total amount of alcohol will be less as you cannot collect ALL of the alcohol that is in the wash. This is also skewed by the fact that, for a stripping run (or any pot still run for that matter), the ABV will drop as the run progresses causing a difference in the expected volume of liquid as more liquid is required to hold the same amount of alcohol.

There is a calculator you can use to determine how much alcohol you can roughly expect to collect located on the calculators page in the Newbies section here

I tend to work in Litres of Alcohol to track my runs these days rather than ABV as I find it easier to get predicable results.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Adder5 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer.
The Still is not a t500, it has an oz brew sticker at the top, all I really know is what I was told, that it is a reflux. I will look at the calculate page, I did visit there when I went through everything on the newbies page, think I played with the TPW recipe calculator ( could have been somewhere else, have been doing so much reading)
I will break the 10 litres down to 40% today and rerun it in 200ml shots, will probably stick to the 4.5 - 5.0 maximum grab.
Then comes the fun to see if I can do the cuts
Will let you know

Thanks again
Adder5

equipment: 25 lt Reflux

Postby Professor Green » Mon May 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Good luck with your run. You'll get the hang of cuts over time and remember, if you stuff it up, you can always put it all back through the still and try again.

If you post a picture of your still someone may be able to identify it.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Beginners Questions