Heating a TPW?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Heating a TPW?

Postby Natjac » Mon May 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Whilst continuing to read and procrastinate on buying/building a still, I have at least figured out that whatever I end up with, will require cleaning and at least one wastage run.

So I am thinking that I should start a wash (or two concurrently).

If fermenting in a shed/garage outdoors in the current weather in south east queensland, will I need to heat a TPW at all? If so, is it easier to use a heat belt, pad or something else simple?

Then after fermentation has finished I gather it is fine to leave the wash for a reasonably long time before attempting any kind of run?

Natjac.
Natjac

equipment: 5 star Pot Still
Boka Reflux Still
50L Keg Boiler

Re: Heating a TPW?

Postby Doubleuj » Mon May 28, 2018 9:04 pm

first up, how long until you decide on a still? No point putting a wash on now if your months away, even though a tpw will wait for you. I’ve had one that was 6 month old and no worries and I recall a member posting that the “lost” then found a wash that was 2 years old.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Astro » Mon May 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Doubleuj wrote:first up, how long until you decide on a still? No point putting a wash on now if your months away, even though a tpw will wait for you. I’ve had one that was 6 month old and no worries and I recall a member posting that the “lost” then found a wash that was 2 years old.

if your losing a wash for 2 years i reckon you have too much stilling gear :teasing-neener:
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby Teddysad » Mon May 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Being in a different latitude to you, I have no idea of your ambient temperatures so find it hard to comment.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby RC Al » Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 pm

My latest tpw was put down 13 days ago, checked this morning, minor bubbling still, roughly 10sg points to go, been pretty cool, don't think it would have gone much below 10 degrees where it is sitting, should have blanketed it to start with. Usually 3-4 days during summer
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Natjac » Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 am

My latest tpw was put down 13 days ago, checked this morning, minor bubbling still, roughly 10sg points to go, been pretty cool, don't think it would have gone much below 10 degrees where it is sitting, should have blanketed it to start with. Usually 3-4 days during summer

When you say blanketed it, do you mean a powered heating band/blanket or a normal blanket like a removalists rug etc?

Natjac.
Last edited by Sam. on Wed May 30, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Natjac

equipment: 5 star Pot Still
Boka Reflux Still
50L Keg Boiler

Postby RC Al » Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 pm

I've got just a regular doona on now, makes a small difference.
There are better yeast options for lower temps than baking yeast of course
I got caught out with the cold snap with this one, have a band heater I might bust out for the next one
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Beginners Questions