TPW bad versus turbo

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

TPW bad versus turbo

Postby Pist n broke » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

ok... last time I went down to my brew shop to get some supplies, I mentioned that I was going to try a tpw... yes I know he has a business to think of but he was very convincing that it was bad... about not knowing how much to throw away and turbo designed to make very little bad stuff at the start of the run...

Anyway I bought another turbo .... is he just full of piss and wind..?
I Know a lot of people use tpw but my luck is I will balls it up and will go blind or something :-B :-B :-B
Pist n broke

equipment: T500.... Trying to learn...

Re: TPW bad versus turbo

Postby Astro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm

lol he just making sales mate, thats all.
definately do a TPW next run and doubt you'll do a turbo again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:24 pm

He's full of crap mate, you've got a higher chance of turbos making you crook than a tpw.

This link may help explain the stuff thats not good in alcohol and how we get rid of it.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=11918
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:26 pm

You've been had mate.

Turbos have all sorts of crap added to them to make the ferment go quicker and to produce higher ABV. This causes the yeast to stress and introduces off flavours. Whilst TPW is slower and gives a lower yield, it is made with natural ingredients, no chemicals and produces a much cleaner neutral product. It is also dead simple to make and pretty hard to cock up; that is why it's in the tried and proven section. It is also a very forgiving recipe. I've made it with tomato puree before because I ran out of tomato paste and still worked out fine. I've left out the lemon juice before and it still worked out fine.

Have a read of some of The Doctor's posts on TPW. He's a professional distiller.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Plumby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:43 pm

My hbs told me the same story mate, even told me that big distillers like Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and Bundy use turbo when the run out of their house yeast. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Even told me that rum made out of turbo and rum essence is better than rum made out of molasses. I don't go there anymore.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby coffe addict » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:50 pm

One thing to remember is the advice you get here nobody profits from(except 5star products) so when people say tpw is better in every way than turbo you can believe it. Everyone here has used turbo and never will again as tpw is easy, cheaper and produces a better/cleaner neutral.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Minpac » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:42 pm

The recommended turbo recipes also specify an absolutely massive amount of sugar, which is sure to stress the yeast when the ABV gets high. He just wants your cash for turbo yeast and dextrose and carbon filtering. Do the TPW on plain old sugar and bakers yeast and don't look back. Compare 'em side by side if you really want to run one or have some left over.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Pist n broke » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Ok... will do next run with tpw.... question... below is what I found as a recipe... is this correct...? How much do you throw away when doing the run...?
When they say ‘pitch your yeast’... does that just mean sprinkle it on top?

Here's my version for a 25L wash.

5kg sugar
80grams bakers yeast
1/4 tea spoon citric acid
200 grams leggo's tomato paste.

Mix sugar, tomato paste, citric acid and 10 liters hot water into your fermenter to disolve all the sugar.

Top up with cool water and hopefully you've got it at about 30c

Pitch yeast.
Pist n broke

Postby Plumby » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Yea man just sprinkle it on top no need to be to fancy with it.
I ran this wash for years and it is very fool proof and forgiving, keep the feints of your spirit runs until you have enough to do a all feints spirit run and you will have very, very, very nice neutral.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Pist n broke » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 pm

I gotta google feints.... banana.... is that the crap you have left over after cuts?
Pist n broke

Postby Astro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Pist n broke wrote:I gotta google feints.... banana.... is that the crap you have left over after cuts?

yep :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Pist n broke wrote:I gotta google feints.... banana.... is that the crap you have left over after cuts?

Try this
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2857#p40594

Pretty much all you need to know about distilling is already here mate just gotta look around :handgestures-thumbupleft: I use the search button next to the recipes icon up the top, I find I get better results with it than the one in the top right.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Matt_Pl » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Ive seen this argument on Facebook 100 times. TPW forever mate!!
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Return to Beginners Questions