So I'm wanting to try a reflux still whiskey....

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

So I'm wanting to try a reflux still whiskey....

Postby Ronker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:25 pm

G'day all.
I'd like a pot still to add to my boiler but just don't have the sheckles available currently.
So I'm thinking on trying a basic whiskey in my pure distilling reflux still.
I have read lots on here but still confused.
Thinking on trying a CFW if that's best..
I don't want to go taking packing out still cos it's a pig to get back in on this model.

I've read to ferment out 20 / 25 ltr but then some say rack off, others just put lot in boiler...

I'm leaning to put all in to carry over as much flavour as possible.

But do I do this and strip first run, n take cuts second run?

Read put feints back in, but if you do that what's point in cuts?

Any advice be greatly appreciated on how to achieve in my still.

I do plan to age on oak or bourbon staves.

Cheers
Ronker

equipment: Pure Distilling - 'Spirit Maker' Reflux Rig
Pure Distilling - Pot Still

Re: So I'm wanting to try a reflux still whiskey....

Postby Nathan02 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Definitely do not put all your trudge from the bottom of your fermenter into the boiler. Rack off with a piece of hose. Stripped and spirit run through a packed reflux column your going to make a product very close to neutral. I would try a single pass and take cuts however it's not normally the done thing. A spirit run will clean a whiskey up nicely. Just have fun and experiment
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Plumby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Some of the nicest neutral's I made in the past were from the first gen of ujssm. That gen had very little flavour as the sour mashing process hadn't started.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Ronker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Hmmm

Might just leave it then for now...

I notice the 'alcoengine' potstill from kegland.com.au (no affiliation) is reasonable cost.... anyone care to comment on its credentials?
Ronker

Postby EziTasting » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 pm

What are you going to bolt it to?

For less than the $150 you could build yourself a proper pot still... and if it’s the reflux function you’re chasing, you’ve already got something similar (according to your avatar description)...

I struggle to see any benefit with this change...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RC Al » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 pm

A lieburged pot can be disgustingly cheap to build
Aldi have a map torch for $45 atm You could do it for less than the 150 including a power controller
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Ronker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:19 pm

EziTasting wrote:What are you going to bolt it to?

For less than the $150 you could build yourself a proper pot still... and if it’s the reflux function you’re chasing, you’ve already got something similar (according to your avatar description)...

I have a std electric boiler, make great neutral, just wanted to progress, guess l buy the cheaper pot still to get started...
Ronker

Postby Stevejb » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:20 am

Ronker wrote:Hmmm

Might just leave it then for now...

I notice the 'alcoengine' potstill from kegland.com.au (no affiliation) is reasonable cost.... anyone care to comment on its credentials?

I am thinking of getting the AlcoEngine potstill but have been hesitant. I currently have an AlcoEngine reflux still and I guess you get what you pay for - it's very prone to flooding without a power controller. The brass inserts that it uses to control the takeoff rate (you can use either a 1mm or 0.6mm hole) don't give any control. A needle valve would improve it a lot if you could get one to fit.

Anyway, back to your question re their potstill - there's a thread here on it having some issues - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11727
Stevejb

equipment: Keggomax reflux still
T500 boiler

Postby Ronker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for replies and as usual great info.
I did have a look at the thread on the alcoengine pot and it's quite discouraging.

I'm interested in building one, however I don't really want to go ask someone at work to assist making one since it would not go down too good.

I can silver solder, I have flux and a map gas torch, limited as they are.

Is there any good simple plans on how to go about it?
I'd really prefer to add on to my existing boiler but if not happy to experiment.

Cheers
Ronker

Postby Ronker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Forgot to add, I did look through some build threads, but all seemed super complex or pics not opening.
Just something really basic would do me, like the ones referred to for $150, is there a simple newbie build, I couldn't find any.

Thanks
Ronker

Postby RC Al » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Have a look at a liebig condenser, its simply a pipe with a jacket attached to the out side of it for water to run through, its 2 different sized pipes and 2 reducing tee's in construction (plus attachment point). Basically the longer the better and you only want a small size difference between the tubes ie 3/4" jacket around 1/2" product tube

Basic plans are around, but at its simplest is largely unneeded - the main point of contention is pipe sizing of any reducers before you hit the condenser

A pot still is just a pipe going up from your boiler to a 90deg angle and then a condenser attached to that, the angle the condenser sits at can infulence your abv and flavour, so is best adjustable somewhere between 45 down to horizontal to 45 up.

The fancy ones use a dome or other shaped chamber that influences the limited reflux happening from condensation on the internal surface before it its the column
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Ronker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:48 pm

RC Al wrote:Have a look at a liebig condenser, its simply a pipe with a jacket attached to the out side of it for water to run through, its 2 different sized pipes and 2 reducing tee's in construction (plus attachment point). Basically the longer the better and you only want a small size difference between the tubes ie 3/4" jacket around 1/2" product tube

Basic plans are around, but at its simplest is largely unneeded - the main point of contention is pipe sizing of any reducers before you hit the condenser

A pot still is just a pipe going up from your boiler to a 90deg angle and then a condenser attached to that, the angle the condenser sits at can infulence your abv and flavour, so is best adjustable somewhere between 45 down to horizontal to 45 up.

The fancy ones use a dome or other shaped chamber that influences the limited reflux happening from condensation on the internal surface before it its the column

I will look into whats available and what i reckon i can solder... lol, but thanks for that, can see how its simple, just need good silver soldering n lead free solder i assume.
Not sure on lengths, I plan to just run it inside as i do reflux, on sink top with hoses connected.

cheers
Ronker

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Ronker wrote:
EziTasting wrote:What are you going to bolt it to?

I have a std electric boiler, make great neutral, just wanted to progress, guess l buy the cheaper pot still to get started...

Sorry Ronker,
didn't meant to be so flippant, my point was, to upgrade you can make something yourself and it is probably going to be cheaper than the $150...
Examples:
basic pot still 1.png

basic poot still 2.png

Swan necked pot still.png

fancy pot still.png

Couple of elbows, a reducer and the rest is straight pipe...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:26 pm

I like 3&4. 4 is very sexy :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:03 am

bluc wrote:I like 3&4. 4 is very sexy :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D

Hah, I was very tempted to do #3 in 6"... but, its not my time to build a still as yet! But I was very very tempted!
EziTasting

Return to Beginners Questions