Should I add more bubbles plates?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Should I add more bubbles plates?

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi All,

I once read that there was no benefit to adding any more plates to the 4" FSD neutraliser, but when I see other various gin and neutral stills online I've noticed anywhere from 6-12 bubble plates before the gin basket/carter head.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks all
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Should I add more bubbles plates?

Postby The Stig » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:19 am

More plates = cleaner output :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

:text-+1: on what stig said but most folks find that the neutraliser configuration of 5 plates and a 500mm packed section is more than adequate for their neutral needs. We are talking hobby level here. Commercial distilleries would not generally use packed sections; rather, they would substitute the packed section for at least the equivalent number of plates that theoretical plates that a packed section offers.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 am

all good information here...I agree that a 500mm packed section ( stainless or copper wool) will give the benefit of a couple of plates at less expense.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby RC Al » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm

However much packed section you can fit under your roof, this will give you the most separation and speed

The plates are easier to clean and would give more repeatable results than packing that settles and then moves around every time you take it out to clean it. If you're only running one type of wash, cleaning wouldn't be as bit of deal
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Matt_Pl » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback all. I’m attempting to impress the mother in law of all people.

I always run 4 plates and a packed section of 500 mm copper mesh. Although th mesh is dirty af and about 5 years old.

Adding a couple of plates wouldn’t hurt? And yes I’d be back yard brewing outside as my rig would no longer fit under the roof.

Once again many thanks.

Matt
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby PeterC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:03 pm

I do 3 stripping runs with 4 plates discarding foreshots then combine and do a spirit run with 5 plates and packed section. I only have stainless steel scrubbers but I am very happy with the result. The stripping runs means that the packed section stay cleaner. Cheers.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Even if you do strip first, the tails will dirty up the packing somewhat. If you feel inclined, you could strip, then spirit run without packed section, then a second spirit run with plates and packed section. Or you could just do double spirit runs with only the hearts from the first run. That's what I've been doing for my vodkas lately... Two runs through 4 plates each time... Lovely

Or you could just be content with dirtying up your packing and have to clean it periodically.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby YarraRanges » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:14 pm

I always do my gin from a clean neutral. Doing it on a spirit run is just going to limit the amount of flavour profiles you can get for your gin.
If your're doing a rose gin the rose doesn't come across until you're down to about 20% ABV. On a spirit run you'd be down into the worst tails ever at 20% ABV.
Doing it with a clean neutral gives you the best chance of getting a wonderful gin.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions