Copper filter assembly?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Copper filter assembly?

Postby Matt_Pl » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi All,

Another beginners question. Is there any negative aspects if I build a carbon filter out of copper rather than stainless steel ?

Thanks all.

Matt
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Copper filter assembly?

Postby RC Al » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Its not great for it...

Low ph drinks can release copper oxides
https://www.mnn.com/family/protection-s ... hol-copper

Ethanol is commonly used for removing tarnish off copper too (as recomended in the build threads)- so if the copper in the proposed filter wasnt shiney clean (citric acid bath?) any tarnish in there will wash off and leech into your product, no doubt with an accompanying taste

Dig deeply into the build threads and you will see more than once the concept of copper for the vapour path and stainless for the liquid alc

I knew something was bugging me about the copper fire extinguisher for storage recently in another thread....
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Matt_Pl » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks mate!
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Rock » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:29 pm

RC Al wrote:Its not great for it...

Low ph drinks can release copper oxides
https://www.mnn.com/family/protection-s ... hol-copper

Ethanol is commonly used for removing tarnish off copper too (as recomended in the build threads)- so if the copper in the proposed filter wasnt shiney clean (citric acid bath?) any tarnish in there will wash off and leech into your product, no doubt with an accompanying taste

Dig deeply into the build threads and you will see more than once the concept of copper for the vapour path and stainless for the liquid alc

I knew something was bugging me about the copper fire extinguisher for storage recently in another thread....

Thanks, good info there,
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby warramungas » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Ethanol is used to remove oils and sundries from the still. The vinegar run is used to remove oxides.
Copper oxides (tarnish) is fairly stable in alcohol under normal conditions.

I'll edit that ethanol (the usual stuff you're filtering at less than 50%) is close enough to neutral that it might as well be. It should have no effect on copper and its oxides unless its mixed with something else.
However, personally, I would reccomend stainless if you can as that's a lot less reactive.
Last edited by warramungas on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Beginners Questions