First TPW Questions

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First TPW Questions

Postby Coastie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi Everyone

So Im running a Pure distilling reflux still and had a few questions after running my first TPW.

So after reading the forum and directions on how to run a T500 properly (i figure they are same/same) I started the water flow as soon as I switched on the boiler. It took a while to heat up and start dripping the forsehots, with the first drips at 79Degs. (According to the T500 thread they collected first drips at 40-45 Degs) https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopi ... 57&t=10483

After collecting the fores i turned the tap to the fast position and started to collect the heads.
I left it like this for 6 hours till the temp spiked 2 more degrees and I turned it to the slow position where the temp didn't stabilise again so I turned the boiler off.

Doing cuts as I went I only ended up with 2.75 litres in Alcohol in total @93%

My questions are this:-
What went wrong?
In my previous runs Ive collected nearly 5 Litres using turbo washes and the still operated as described, here it didn't spike a second time and I only gathered 2.75 litres...

Im thinking I wont turn on the water next time till the still reaches temp as described in the original instructions and see how that was goes.

Any tips feed back would be great!

Cheers Coastie
Coastie

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Column & 2" Copper Pot Still

Re: First TPW Questions

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 am

A tpw will produce less volume of alcohol but a much better quality than a turbo.
if you started with 25L of tpw id say 2.75L @93% is spot on.
Taking your sg and fg of the wash will help you know what to expect off the still. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby RC Al » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 am

Also don't use the t500 info, your still is arguably better, it's a slant plate boka, look at replacing the output valve with an adjustable stainless one and read up on running a boka
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Coastie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks guys
What’s sg and fg?

I didn’t realize it would produce less volume but hey now I know!
So after doing cuts I could expect to keep 1.75-2litres of 93% neutral?
Coastie

Postby RC Al » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Less than that even, currently I'm keeping less than 1/2 as hearts
You really need to read the stickies in the newbie section and have a really good (re?)read of kiwistillers guide to cuts before doing anything further to your collected product

Edit. Starting and Final Gravity of the wash as measured with a hydrometer
Last edited by RC Al on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Coastie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks RC AL I’ll have another re read

Yep lots to learn and take in and lots of re reading.

1 last dumb question.
So from reading my wash with my hydrometer I can then calculate how much neutral I can expect ?

Thanks again guys
Coastie

Postby RC Al » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Yup, at the top of the newbie section is a calculator link, lotsa useful stuff that you will need One way or another for most runs or mixing drinks
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Birdman85 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 pm

I just did my first TPW run today. Very happy with it. 9x 300ml bots (about 2.7l as well) letting them air overnight. So far not alot of difference at all from 1 to 5 to 9.

Not sure about your 6hrs Coastie, mine was a 40min boil, and was done and dusted and stopped dripping in 2h20m. But your still is obviously alot better quality than my T500.

Cant wait to put it on domino's and let it sit for a while.

Not bad for a $7.30 investment.
Last edited by Birdman85 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby RC Al » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 pm

300ml is probably a bit big with that output volume, you will be wasting a bit of product and making it harder to do the cuts.
If you really can't pick a difference in smells between all the jars (heads smell sweet to me) then you have most likely run the still too quickly, smearing the fores, heads, hearts and tails together.
Maybe consider that one a practice run, water it back down to 40% and run it back through a bit slower and in smaller collection amounts.
On my small setup, with a familiar wash, I drop mine to 100mls for 2 jars either side of where I think the main transition points are, with a wash I'm unfamiliar with, I'll go 100-125 all the way through.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby scythe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 pm

1.2L/Hr isn't exactly fast though.
I'd still run it at a similar speed but with smaller cuts.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Hairyleg » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 pm

I’m only a noob myself, I’ve just done my 13th TPW in my T500, but I’m pushing it out to about 5 hours for a run (only slightly more than a drip when I’m around the changeover from heads to hearts)
I take 100ml cuts around the changeover and it is very easy to taste the transition after a day of airing and diluted with a bit of water.
By preparing and fermenting each batch in an IDENTICAL way each time, and keeping good records, I find I can predict the heads to hearts transition within 100 ml and the hearts to tails within about 300 ml. This means I can take much bigger cuts away from these transitions which saves a lot of effort.
Hairyleg

equipment: T500 still

Return to Beginners Questions