First still build.. Help needed choosing

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First still build.. Help needed choosing

Postby Joycy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

Hi guys,

so I have recently registered as a member but have been lurking in here and many other place for a while now. I started researching over a year ago, firstly beginning with an interest in Whiskey and pot stills, reading a lot about fermenting, building a pot, cuts, ageing etc. While having an idea about the principles I have never actually done it, so I am yet to experience my first self made alcohol.

As I got through the thousands of pages of content everywhere, I began to lean towards Vodka and Gin as a starting point being easier to get right and learn. I began building some kind of an offset LM reflux still that I found plans for but have been kindly told by some of you guys that it is not a very good design. I am thinking of breaking it down and making a simple pot still from the materials for future whiskey making, but that still leaves me without what I want.

I want to make an excellent high quality Vodka then experiment with Gin flavours too. I have been looking at all of your brilliant builds and I am looking for some advice on what to build. I m the kind of person that always wants the next best thing. "I'm going to buy that 55" Tv.. Ah sure I may aswel get the 65", kind of like that :D So I was thinking of making Boka or some other similar reflux, until I came across the bubbler builds. I thought these were something of dreams and only a commercial distiller would have, but after seeing all of the posts, I know it is possible to build one myself.

Like I say, I am looking for top quality Vodka and Gin, Whiskey can be done on a separate pot while rum does not appeal to me. Should I go all out on a bubbler first up as a noob or should I start with a 2" LM reflux? I am a plumber by trade so soldering, cutting, tools and materials is not a problem. I am willing to spend some money (not thousands) and time to do it right and I think your posts in here have really helped me already.

I have been reading about plated column stills and there seems to be some conflicting info regarding amount of plates etc. Will I get a pure enough product from a 4 plate still with a packing section or should I go 6 plates or more? At the minute I am thinking a 4" column with 6 plates and a packing section, sight glasses on each. I am still looking through the members builds and am not really ready to start until I fully understand what I want, what kind of plates do I go with etc.

So I guess to summarise my question is sort, should I go straight for a good bubbler build and what kind of spec should it be for what I want. Any help from you guys would be great while I continue to read through all of the other great information in here.
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Re: First still build.. Help needed choosing

Postby Professor Green » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am

Most folks go for 4” stills for speed. They are much faster for the same amount of product than a 2” still. 5 plates and a 500mm packed section should get you some damned good neutral.

Basically, what you build will come down to how much time you have to run your still and how much booze you want to make. How much room you have to do it in will also play a part; 5 plates and packed section on top of an appropriately sized boiler can make for some serious height. I can only run 4 plates with a packed section in my shed Which leaves me a whopping 5mm clearance!

If you go with a boka design, you’ll need a pot still as well if you want to make a distilled gin. If you build yourself a modular bubbler with a packed section, you’ll be able to reconfigure it for various styles of spirits.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Werra » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:56 am

Hi Joycy

I am pretty much in the same boat as you - years of researching, but never actually made it into practice, so I am very interested in seeing what people say in this thread.

The biggest difference is that while I could build something, my current circumstances leave me with no tools or time, so I have decided to fork over some money instead. My drink of choice is whisky (scotch), but I also want to make sure I can do anything else that I come across, so I will probably end up with a FSD Neutraliser :)

I'll not contribute to your actual question - while I have many ideas, I can't speak from practice... yet...
Werra

equipment: Nothing yet.

Postby Joycy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Professor Green wrote:Most folks go for 4” stills for speed. They are much faster for the same amount of product than a 2” still. 5 plates and a 500mm packed section should get you some damned good neutral.

Basically, what you build will come down to how much time you have to run your still and how much booze you want to make. How much room you have to do it in will also play a part; 5 plates and packed section on top of an appropriately sized boiler can make for some serious height. I can only run 4 plates with a packed section in my shed Which leaves me a whopping 5mm clearance!

If you go with a boka design, you’ll need a pot still as well if you want to make a distilled gin. If you build yourself a modular bubbler with a packed section, you’ll be able to reconfigure it for various styles of spirits.

At the minute I will be doing it in my garage. It would be standard living height so around 2.4m. Would this give me enough height for a 5 plate with a packing section or would I need to cut it down to 4?

I guess going with the 4" for speed would suit me better too. I was in the middle of a 2" reflux but if I am going to put time and effort in, it may aswel give me a still I won't need to upgrade any time soon.
Joycy

Postby Professor Green » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 pm

I think you'll struggle to fit 5 plates and a 500mm packed section into 2.4m. That is the height restriction I have so I run 4 plates with the packed section and a blockhead rather than elbows at the top. TO get neutral, I strip 2 washes first then combine them and run them as a spirit run.

I also think, building a still you won't need to upgrade later is a very good strategy.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby woodduck » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 pm

I guess you need to ask yourself "is this hobby something I have the intrest and time for" if you think your gonna be doing this hobby for a while I would jump straight into a bubbler. I've had a pot and a boka and I can tell ya now I would never contemplate using either of them again. A bubbler craps all over them. In saying that there is nothing wrong with a pot or 2" reflux, they are just slower and the pot needs 2 runs to get a good product.

If your not sure this hobby is for you, build a simple pot or reflux and it will be a bit of fun building it and using and if you give it up there's no great loss. I will warn you now a bubbler will cost far more than a pot or reflux by the time you get everything done. They are no cheaper to build (unless you have access to reaaaaaaly chep copper) than to buy really in the end. I built because I love building and get just as much enjoyment from that as I do stilling.

5 plates and packed should be fine for neutrals. I believe most run 4 plates for brown spirit, some go for 3 to get a bit more flavor through but it's a personal thing more than a set rule. Caps or perf are totally personal as well. They say perfs are slightly harder to run as they can dry up or flood but don't think it's a big issue. I made caps but once again it's cause I like building. I'm not 100% sure but 5star may have bubble plates ready made which is another option.

Good luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Joycy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Cheers guys, it's definitely some I'm interested and have been interested in for a while so I'm sure once I get to the good part (actually making the alcohol) I will be even more interested.

I have some days off during the week currently so I will hunt for the copper in the scrap yard. The price of 4" is mental, I can get it s little cheaper on account but the scrap yard will be the way to go if I can find it.

I do like yo build myself and will have much more pride in what I am doing if I put the hard work in to make the still that is producing the alcohol.

That's it, I am decided to go with a 4" bubbler, screw it. I will lurk around the scrap over the coming weeks and hopefully get some good clean stuff. I may need to go with a 4 plate as I am height restricted but an extra module can be added later on can it?

The advice all through this forum has been great, I would never even dream of this otherwise
Joycy

Postby RC Al » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Not sure what end of town your at, but check out this thread http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=11029&start=20
Last edited by Doubleuj on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed thread link
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby woodduck » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:18 pm

Good stuff mate. Just make sure you get new off cut stuff from the scrappy, you never know what used stuff might have had through it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Joycy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Went to the scrap yard today and hit what I thought was the mini jackpot. 2.1m length of 4" copper, a little dirty but that shouldn't really matter should it? Been looking at ways to clean it properly and there seems a few ways to bring it up pretty well i.e clr, citric etc. Will it make a difference what has been run through it if it is cleaned properly? If it is good I have enough to make my whole 4" column with 4" sight glasses, also picked up some 2" and 1/4" for easy flanges
Joycy

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:47 am

Citric bath should clean it up, I wouldn’t use CLR. It may need a light sanding if any stains remain. As above, a modular 4” bubbler, 4 or 5 plates or more depending on height, with a packed section and gin basket will see you make whatever you want.
Looking forward to your build thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Joycy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:02 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Citric bath should clean it up, I wouldn’t use CLR. It may need a light sanding if any stains remain. As above, a modular 4” bubbler, 4 or 5 plates or more depending on height, with a packed section and gin basket will see you make whatever you want.
Looking forward to your build thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Dig, sounds good, I am looking forward to it. You don't think it would matter what has ever been run through it? It more than likely have been water anyway but you never know.
Joycy

Postby woodduck » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 am

Well I guess citric acid would got the smell of shit out but would you want to make booze in a poo cannon? :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I'm only messing with ya mate, very unlikely there was poo in there but you do need to be careful what has gone through it. I'm not sure what they use 4" copper for but I would hate to think there was some sort of acid or something that it was used for? I don't want to scare you but I think it's important to let people know of the risks of using scrappies. There was a bloke that was getting crap in his booze that was unexplained and he was worried it was from the used copper but who knows (I think it's in the fuck up thread somewhere, fairly early on, probably about 2014) Always try get new off cuts, that way your safe.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 am

woodduck wrote:Would you want to make booze in a poo cannon?

Yep, now I have to wipe coffee off my iPad :laughing-rolling:
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Joycy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:04 am

Haha, it definitely wasn't used for sewer and there is no embedded smell in it to suggest it was used for gas. I think a citrus bath and a couple of vinegar runs will sort it out. It is just oxidized, there are no stains on the inside to show there was anything foul flowing through it.
I'll cut a piece and leave it in some citric, see how it turns out. How long should I leave it in a citric bath to clean it up properly?
Joycy

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:10 am

Citric will clean it bloody fast mate but I'd go half a day minimum mate
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby warramungas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Unlikely copper being used for hazardous materials.
Poo pipes? Maybe a long time ago? PH wouldn't do it any favors. Mostly ceramic and plastic now aren't they?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Most now would be HDPE pipe I would guess but a lot of industrial gear would have been copper that has been scrapped with god knows what has been thru it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 am

After a citric bath, wet sand the inside with some 240 grit wet and dry, and you'll expose all fresh metal. Do this and it won't matter what it's had through it. It'll be easier to do this after you've cut up the 4" for your modules and RC. Don't bother with 2" unless you have tiny hands :teasing-tease:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby coffe addict » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 am

Yeah I'm with dB on this one once cleaned back to shiny fresh copper it won't matter what's been through it.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Next

Return to Beginners Questions