1 Still - Multiple Products - Sequencing Question

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

1 Still - Multiple Products - Sequencing Question

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi,
Still very much a Newbie but always keen to learn and experiment.

I have now run 4 TPWs through my new copper T-500 and over the weekend ran a macrum through, in the “water” mode (ie no packing, water on and stripped to 20% ABV). I was nervous having read and read and read on here about potential problems with T-500 melting, leaking etc but, I am happy to say that I got down to 20% ABV distillate with no issues in a little over 3Hrs from power on to stopping. (No leaks, melting plastic; only issue was some initial vapourising of distillate, but an increased water flow addressed that) I now have 5L of 1st gen macrum stripped, and the 2nd gen fizzing away since Friday night – nice…

I also have 25L of a TPW which will be ready to run in the next day or so and 4x gin botanicals that need running through after sitting for a week.

The packing is currently removed and cleaned and the column has been rinsed with boiling water following the macrum.

My Q is, what would the best sequence to run these in order to minimise cleaning. I ran a gin infusion through (which turned out magnificent) but the boiler, column and saddles were very gin-smelly after. I washed a few times to remove (no cleaning run, as I have no sacrificial neutral) which did the trick.

I would think:
1. Macrum gen 2
2. Clean column
3. TPW
4. Botanical
5. Clean by running some sacrificial fores, heads and tails through at < 40% ABV
6. Repeat 4 & 5 until all botanicals run
7. Should be time then to run macrum gen 3

I plan to ferment out the turbo sugar and yeast and create a sacrificial cleaning wash for future use.

Can any of the wiser more experienced heads add any opinions on this approach? Also, any other tips/ suggestions on T-500 and rum.
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Return to Beginners Questions