My T500 Reflux Setup after forum recommended mods.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

My T500 Reflux Setup after forum recommended mods.

Postby Maximus_Moonshine » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Having read and absorbed some of the advice available here and having had some experience with a few runs, I have made a bunch of mods and changes to the way I operate this still.

Made a copper outlet tube and collect in glass (funnel is glass too). No plastic in the spirit flow!

This shows the whole setup with my water flow controller - A barrel that gently overflows out the top. This arrangement is temporary until I get a better solution, but serves the purpose. As I'm on tank water, I have a pump that kicks in and out and the condenser temp goes all over the shop without this. Once I put this in place, the coolant outlet temp seems to be much more stable (Towel is just to catch spray from the dripping overflow). I start with water flat out and once I begin collecting (around 35 degrees at the coolant outlet) I back off the element using my power controller and then begin slowly adjusting the water flow to drip drip dribble.

Put my power controller into a box to make it a little neater and safer. Added a fan to it also. Seems very happy and does the job nicely.

Currently into the second litre of a spirits run (after chucking 200ml of fores) and it's coming off at approx 92ABV, if I believe my gauge. Even my uneducated taste and smell can pick up variations from each 200ml jar.

Any further observations and advice most welcome.
Cheers
Maximus_Moonshine

equipment: Turbo 500 reflux and alembic pot

Re: My T500 Reflux Setup after forum recommended mods.

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Looks good like the glass funnel and still setup :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Cheersbigears » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 am

Now just do it outside or open all the windows and doors. That's the setup I started with all up from here. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 am

Looks like a good little setup. One thing I would do is move the controller as far away from that dripping water reservoir just to be safe. If water happens to pool on the bench for any reason, you'll have potential to get electrocuted. Maybe pop it on the other bench out of harms way next time you run it.

Cheers,
Prof. green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Maximus_Moonshine » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks for the tips. Yes, the controller should probably be a little further away while I'm using the header tank. I have earthed it, and it is on a safety switched circuit, plus it has feet that keep it about 5mm above the bench, but better safe that sorry. I did consider running the still outside, but thought the cold breeze on the column might cause the temp to wander. It is in a large open room. How many of you run outside?
Maximus_Moonshine

Postby RC Al » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Quite a few of us, especially the guys running on LPG, some columns end up quite tall too, the 5m high shed is a thing of envy around here
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:51 pm

For a T500 I think you'd be fine having it on your bench in the kitchen. Just open a window and a door to make sure if you get a vapor leak it won't cause problems :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Plumby » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:40 pm

I run outside, wind doesn't really worry my pot still though.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Stillhereguys » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 am

Maximus_Moonshine wrote:Having read and absorbed some of the advice available here and having had some experience with a few runs, I have made a bunch of mods and changes to the way I operate this still.

Made a copper outlet tube and collect in glass (funnel is glass too). No plastic in the spirit flow!

This shows the whole setup with my water flow controller - A barrel that gently overflows out the top. This arrangement is temporary until I get a better solution, but serves the purpose. As I'm on tank water, I have a pump that kicks in and out and the condenser temp goes all over the shop without this. Once I put this in place, the coolant outlet temp seems to be much more stable (Towel is just to catch spray from the dripping overflow). I start with water flat out and once I begin collecting (around 35 degrees at the coolant outlet) I back off the element using my power controller and then begin slowly adjusting the water flow to drip drip dribble.

Put my power controller into a box to make it a little neater and safer. Added a fan to it also. Seems very happy and does the job nicely.

Currently into the second litre of a spirits run (after chucking 200ml of fores) and it's coming off at approx 92ABV, if I believe my gauge. Even my uneducated taste and smell can pick up variations from each 200ml jar.

Any further observations and advice most welcome.
Cheers

For some reason i cant see the pictures, I assume you had to bend the cooper pipe? how did you go about doing it? i tried it and it didnt turn out that well. I used a blow torch and tried to apply some light pressure but ended up kinking it. whats the easiest way?
Stillhereguys

equipment: T500 Reflux Still

Postby The Stig » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 am

There is no reason for you to not see pics.
Have got the function turned off in your browser to save bandwidth ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Maximus_Moonshine » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:18 pm

For the main bend in the pipe along its length, I placed it across a tyre (any rigid curved surface would do) and pressed gently either side to create a small bend, them moved it along a little and repeated until I had a good bend along the whole pipe without any kinks. At the end where I connected it to the still, I put a steel rod just smaller that the pipe ID into the pipe about 5 cm and used it as a lever to create a sharper bend at that point. Was fairly straight forward.
Maximus_Moonshine

Postby Chris7231 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Hey mate, I'd recommend getting a cheap AC voltmeter off eBay, it's a great way for remembering good voltage settings for runs.
From memory they're only about $4 & you just solder them onto the hot & neutral connection that goes to the boiler. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris7231

equipment: Still Spirits reflux & alembic setups.

Postby Chris7231 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:02 pm

This is also a good mod...

You can have your condenser on 100% flow & dial in the amount of cooling water to the reflux - then you're not losing any cooling effect of the condenser when you're trying to back off the reflux.
(Again, costs less then $10)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris7231

equipment: Still Spirits reflux & alembic setups.

Postby Maximus_Moonshine » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for that - More great ideas to try!
Maximus_Moonshine

Postby 62woollybugger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Maximus,
I'm also on tank water with underground tanks, so I bought the Still Spirits flow regulator (https://stillspirits.com/products/water ... oming-soon), which I got for around $90 from one of the local shops. I run mine up on a bench, then run the water outlet back to the tank (using a blue drinking water garden hose) so I don't waste any water.
For other T500 owners that want to make a copper outlet pipe, use copper tubing instead of pipe, it comes in coils & is annealed so it's soft. It's a lot easier to straighten than trying to bend hard drawn pipe. I got some 3/8" tube from Reese plumbing which has an ID about 2mm bigger than the outlet spiggot, so just put a couple of layers of thin heatshrink on the spigot to make it a tight fit.
62woollybugger

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Maximus_Moonshine » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Woollybugger - some good tips! I think I will move distilling to outside on top of my tank (it has a rotundah on it, so a nice place to sit and watch the still). That way, I can return the coolant water to the tank easily.
Cheers
Maximus_Moonshine

Postby Professor Green » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm

62woollybugger wrote:I got some 3/8" tube from Reese plumbing which has an ID about 2mm bigger than the outlet spiggot, so just put a couple of layers of thin heatshrink on the spigot to make it a tight fit.

You might want to consider wrapping the spigot with Teflon tape. God know what nastiness will leach out into your spirits from heatshrink.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby 62woollybugger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Professor Green wrote:
62woollybugger wrote:I got some 3/8" tube from Reese plumbing which has an ID about 2mm bigger than the outlet spiggot, so just put a couple of layers of thin heatshrink on the spigot to make it a tight fit.

You might want to consider wrapping the spigot with Teflon tape. God know what nastiness will leach out into your spirits from heatshrink.

I don't think it will be a problem, I've cut the heatshrink so it's around 3-4mm back from the end of the spiggot & my outlet tube slopes down from where it goes on, so there shouldn't be any contact between the heatshrink & the alcohol coming out.
62woollybugger

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby ruskie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:31 am

Chris7231 wrote:This is also a good mod...

You can have your condenser on 100% flow & dial in the amount of cooling water to the reflux - then you're not losing any cooling effect of the condenser when you're trying to back off the reflux.
(Again, costs less then $10)

Do you back off the reflux by restricting the water flow? What are the benefits of backing off the reflux?
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby scythe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:10 am

No one from here will recommend using heat shrink over ptfe plumbers tape.
The distillate might not touch the heat shrink, but how do you know for sure.
Last edited by scythe on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Next

Return to Beginners Questions