5 plate bubbler (Thinking of upgrading)

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

5 plate bubbler (Thinking of upgrading)

Postby Ned » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 am

Hi, Some advice please.
Have been using an alembic dome and T500 on the grainfather, but I am looking a going to the next level and selling the other systems. (Not the GF)
I like doing all grain malt whiskey (Beer brewing for years) and a clean neutral spirit for gin and other whiskey essence's. Hopefully get away with one system.
Q1. I think by what I have read that you can use the 5 plate bubbler to do both, by altering the configuration and packing. Is that correct. ?
Q2. Can you do a fast stripping run on the 5 plater. ?
Q3. I am looking at at 50 litre keg boiler also with twin 2200 elements and hope this will run off a 10 amp power. (different power point in brew room of course) ?
Q4. I think both elements only need to be on to get to the reflux stage and than switch to one element.
Q4. Presently my water circulation is via a small pump from 1000 litre tank and would run at least 3L PM suffice ?
Q5. At present I do not Carbon filter, as I make good cuts and hope I can do the same on this system?
Q6. Any recommendations. Tried looking at the 5 Star Store, but it not up and running.
Q7. Any thoughts on the attached system in the photo. :text-thankyoublue:
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Re: 5 plate bubbler (Thinking of upgrading)

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 am

Q1) yes 5 plates and 500mm of packed section will give a good neutral. 6 plates even better.

Q2) yes but I would remove the packed section for this. If you run slow enough you can get a reasonable neutral with one run. All brown spirits 4 plates no packed section single runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Q3) I would go for 2400w elements

Q4) yes. 2400 should run 4 plates ok. May want a voltage controller to make things easier

Q4.1) should be ok

Q5) no filter needed

Q6) dont buy the cheap shit one in your photo. Go 5 star, best quality. Call Andrew on number in this link

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12080

Q7) cheap crap made from cheap materials that will rust. No costomer service or back up service. Go 5star :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: 5 plate bubbler (Thinking of upgrading)

Postby Ned » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 am

woodduck wrote:Q1) yes 5 plates and 500mm of packed section will give a good neutral. 6 plates even better.

Q2) yes but I would remove the packed section for this. If you run slow enough you can get a reasonable neutral with one run. All brown spirits 4 plates no packed section single runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Q3) I would go for 2400w elements

Q4) yes. 2400 should run 4 plates ok. May want a voltage controller to make things easier

Q4.1) should be ok

Q5) no filter needed

Q6) dont buy the cheap shit one in your photo. Go 5 star, best quality. Call Andrew on number in this link

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12080

Q7) cheap crap made from cheap materials that will rust. No costomer service or back up service. Go 5star :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Woodduck. Exactly what I was looking for some very good feedback
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Return to Beginners Questions